Multi-Core/CPU Computers?

MetallyGuitarded

He whom thou art not
Hey fellas. I had a question for y'all that arose from a conversation with a buddy the other day. He and I were looking at new computer hardware ( Winblows, of course ) and we were having a hard time trying to justify/verify the use of Quad-core+ machines. I know some programs like the newer revs of Ableton Live have settings to optimize them for dual-core/dual-processors ( which aren't the same ). So I was wondering if programs like Pro-Tools and the numerous plug-ins for it/them actually take any advantage of the extra processing potential or is the gain solely on the seen on the operating system? I realize that if the OS is speed up, etc the gain overall will be noticeable but to me it seems that if having quad-cores only speeds up the OS, even if considerably, do the rest of the programs see any major benefit? I read somewhere that if the code/program isn't written to utilize the multiple processors than having them doesn't benefit that program at all. I think there is some truth to that but I wanted to hear from those of you who actually have first hand experience. Thoughts?

If the os it self supports multicore technology it will still do alot of things for you, sence it can divide the background tasks to different cores.
And i dont know this for sure, but software that supports dualcore might be able to handle 2 cores from a quadcore CPU.

Although I dont see any big reason to go for quadcore yet, sence most software only support dualcore, and dualcores are cheaper and faster in terms of clockrates(Which you benifit more from right now.).

And one thing to think about is that if you are going to use a CPU intended for music, you should go for Intel. AMD is a really good CPU, no doubt about that, but Intel has a much better multitasking.
If you look at tests around on the internet you can clearly see that "lowend" Intels are about the same as highend AMD's when it comes to multitasking(Like running a virusscan while playing a game.).
This means that Intel will be able to handle more Compressors, EQ's etc. then AMD, even if they have the same clockrates.

Edit:

Another thing I am interested in is soundcards that has its own CPU(APU? :D) and RAM that you can load the plugins into.
This is something I think needs to become more of a standard, sense both mediaplayers, games and audiosoftware will benifit from.

yes, they do. Most daws are able to take advantage of dual core, im sure newer ones coming, even more cores. It just gives you more maneuverablilty anyway, for instance i often have vista open with several messenger chats, sometimes photoshop,browser windows, steam, antivirus, outlook, uni assignments, netbeans, itunes, firewall, nuendo, dkfhs and all the usual gubbins etc. Thats why i like it, the pace that you can flick between programs is great.