Music and computer games

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I had a pleasant surprise today - I purchased EA Sports NHL 2002. In the pre-game scene, they play Temptation by The Tea Party during the opening skate (if you don't already know, this is one of my top three bands: Opeth, Nevermore & The Tea Party)

Does anybody know of a computer game which features either Opeth or Nevermore? I like cool surprises like NHL 2002.

I wonder how many people get excited as much about music in a game as the game itself - I guess I do.

I totally get excited over a game with a good soundtrack. It can totally make or break a game. Unless the game is really incredible, like daggerfall.........

Note: Did anyone hear Diabolical masquerade's New Album, Death's Design?? On like track 10 I think, they are playing the main theme from the game Nocturne!!!! Then they later go into a metal version of that!! I thought that was pretty cool.....I wonder if it's intentional, or if it's coincidence.

I've got NHL 2001 and there's a feature that lets you import your own music for when a goal is scored or at the period breaks (like a 5-10 second sound clip). It's awesome because I've ripped MP3's off albums, trimmed them down to a really cool section like a nice aggressive riff, and imported them into the game. Very cool.

i had accidently left a cd (Katatonia - Discouraged Ones) in my cd rom drive and then started playing Alien Vs Predator. and i was shocked when i heard the songs playing in the game, the songs changed when the original music in the game was supposed to change which after awhile got annoying, but i was surprised at first till i figured it out. :D

Heroes of the Might & Magic II had actual opera/classical music...the best soundtracks I have ever heard on a computer game...and then on M&M III they removed them.

the HoM&M 2 sound track was a little over the top...although 3 was quite disapointing in comparision...Planescape: Torment has great music (as well as being an execelant game)...most quake type games let you play music of a audio cd as you play...something like ministry or rammstein usually sounds quite cool (the orginal quake music was by Trent Reznor as well)...esp. in multiplayer, when it doesn't skip from track to track all the time

Not exactly related But Black & White lets you use winamp form inside the game and rumor is you can actually teach your creature to do some headbanging while destroying a village
Sounds like it would be nice to have your creature burn people and eat his own crap while headbanging to Demon of the Fall
:D

I agree with you about Planescape Torment, excellent soundtrack, plus the game was excellent too...I found a glitch near the end which enabled me to keep gaining experience points.

As for being able to play Quake and other FPSs while listening to your own choice of music, yep...that is a bonus.

I disagree with you about M&MII - I found the operatic music while visiting one's castle to be powerful and most excellent.

btw...HofM&M IV due out soon and it should be the best one yet...Check PC Gamer's November issue if interested.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Not exactly related But Black & White lets you use winamp form inside the game and rumor is you can actually teach your creature to do some headbanging while destroying a village
Sounds like it would be nice to have your creature burn people and eat his own crap while headbanging to Demon of the Fall
:D

mail me when you figure it out, i want to try that. :D

i actually have acomplish by artificial means
1: get a computer that can handle itself ( Tbird 800 or better )
2: Run BG2 in window mode to easy control winamp
3: turn off music on BG2
4: Put Legendary tales, symphony of enchanted ands, emerald sword, holy thunderforce, dawn of victory and rain of a thousand flames cds on your winamp list and hit play
5:Go to the Copper Coronet and talk to Lord Jierdan who is actually the eeeeeevil Dragon that goes by the name of Firkraag who will set you up, then you head to the windspear hills to defeat the evil enemy, and crush the evil bastard smell the hate of angels glory pride and bloodhsell! cowards and beholders rapers of my wisdom mix of dust and bonEeEeEeEes!!!!
Hehehe i think you get the idea

as far as Black&White just pick the horse ( you need to download it...or get the Zebra on the second island ) because the horse actually has longass hair, Be evil and put a lot of atention when you play opeth, slap him if he tries to breakdance or do some macarena crap and reward him alot if he bangs...and remember being EEEEEVIL teach him to eat citizens and his own crap, steal food and wood, kidnap babies and sacrifice them in your altar, always use the lace of agression, and be creative.

how do you get your cd to play in the background during nfs5? i can only get it to work in high stakes :(

Originally posted by Misanthrope
i actually have acomplish by artificial means
1: get a computer that can handle itself ( Tbird 800 or better )
2: Run BG2 in window mode to easy control winamp
3: turn off music on BG2
4: Put Legendary tales, symphony of enchanted ands, emerald sword, holy thunderforce, dawn of victory and rain of a thousand flames cds on your winamp list and hit play
5:Go to the Copper Coronet and talk to Lord Jierdan who is actually the eeeeeevil Dragon that goes by the name of Firkraag who will set you up, then you head to the windspear hills to defeat the evil enemy, and crush the evil bastard smell the hate of angels glory pride and bloodhsell! cowards and beholders rapers of my wisdom mix of dust and bonEeEeEeEes!!!!
Hehehe i think you get the idea

:eek: Yes, of course, a brilliant idea.

Originally posted by Oyo
I haven't played Black and White in a while, I suck sooo bad at training my creature. Does anyone else know anything fun to do on Black and White? (I really didn't like the campaign I just liked screwing around)

yeah me too, i just used to keep slappin the animal till it fell over, then sacrfice everyone, then i got really bored, i got to the 2nd island through that portal, and spoke to that bloke/other god, then i took over most other villiges and got bored/pissed off when you had to follow that bloke that if he sees you, you have to start over :mad: how far into the game is that by the way? not very i dont think, but a waste of money anyway.

The soundtrack to Valkyrie Profile is amazing, I would call it progressive video game music heh :loco:
Also a point in the Vintersorg song Astral and Arcane sounds a lot like a theme from a Mega Man game. I think it is like the bridge or something... :confused:
Of course Castlevania music is amazing also, and we can't forget Nobuo Uematsu's work on the Final Fantasy series.

After that you try to rescue your creature in the 3rd island wich is a pushover thing as long as you keep the japanese people alive.
then you return to the first island to witness the best thing on the game: apocalypse! The sky is blood red, the land its on perpetual night, fire rains from the sky and you need to work your way to save your people and stop the madness...but overall entretaining for like an 1.
The last island i havent played yet but is supossed to suck to since your creature gets shink big time almost like its newborn :(

My brother played it to that island, we played when it first came out and his creature was shrunk, and there was a bug where he would never go full size again, so he just quit hehe. Apparently they have a patch where you can make your villagers play soccer with a rock, sound pretty fun, I was thinking about installing it again but I don't feel patient enough to screw around with my creature.