Music theory

Books and teachers.

Any book will do, but you have to have patience to learn from the start. Actually going and learning to read sheet music, how key signatures work (and why), scales (major, three minors, the modes), and chord patterns.

And you should probably learn the keyboard, makes it 3429048392 times easier than learning theory on a guitar.

someone-is-clearly-an-asshole-3734.jpg

private lessons - if you want to be really good... I went to music school 4 years ago, finished two years and now taking private lessons to prepare for music academy.

it's not as easy as it seems, and you might learn some things wrong if you learn by yourself - but if you can't afford lessons and are willing to take the risk, go for it! :D

It's always good to get some lessons but if you can't afford them start jamming with other people, they'll quickly point out bum notes and things you're doing wrong technique wise.

Always trust your ear, music is something that's listened to and if it sounds good that's all that matters.

s

she's so positive, how can you not trust her

It is true though, learn the theory, practice it but don't let it restrict you when it comes to writing - let your ears judge what sounds good.

After writing a riff I'm often asked, what key is that in?

Answer: I have absolutely no idea. :lol:

In one case it turned out it was modulating all over the place between a few keys.

When I wrote it, did I sit there thinking, it's gotta be in this key, then that key, then that key?

Absolutely not.

s