My Bands (SYQEM) new album preview video

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
hey everyone,

i hope this is of interest to someone here ;-)
as you might remember i posted a song back in mid 2009 here, and some of you liked it ("the exterminating angel").

the style we're playing is called "surreal metal with bacon" ;-) (at least for now) so i thought i would post a video of my band, that we did
to show some instrumental ideas of some of our songs that are coming up.

we went to spain to record some ambient sounds with a portable zoom recorder that will make it on the album.
as our album is heavily influenced by salvadore dali and his painting "reflection of elephants"
(see my signature) we went there, visited his house, placed where he lived and got his inspiration from.

so for all people who love dreamy, progressive metal, you might like this! ;-)

about the demos : its all our ibanez rg 2228 8 strings tuned down to E
into >> ongels tsx30 with redwirez impulses,
drums are slate, bass is a warwick 5 string podfarm.

our album will be released mid to late 2012.

thanks for listening and sorry for spamming!

NEW VIDEO : OUR ALBUM COMES MID 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to hear that you are influenced from visual art. That's too rare in music business or in music overall. Or at least I haven't come across many bands with influences like that. I sure hope that the Dali's surrealism reflects in your music too. Allthought the teasers look and sound's very good, it lacks some really dreamy and surreal stuff...and it sounds quite alot like some other modern "progressive" bands IMO. But I'm waiting for your album. It still sounds promising, very interesting and idea is great! Keep it up!

edit. I also love that recorded ambient sound idea! It's fresh.

It's great to hear that you are influenced from visual art. That's too rare in music business or in music overall. Or at least I haven't come across many bands with influences like that. I sure hope that the Dali's surrealism reflects in your music too. Allthought the teasers look and sound's very good, it lacks some really dreamy and surreal stuff...and it sounds quite alot like some other modern "progressive" bands IMO. But I'm waiting for your album. It still sounds promising, very interesting and idea is great! Keep it up!

edit. I also love that recorded ambient sound idea! It's fresh.

thanks buddy! yeah, i had to choose some parts that fit the video too ;-)
as im not the best video editor on this planet! i think the surrealness of our music shines through with vocals. these songs dont have any lyrics yet (the hardest part for mee...) if you like what we do, maybe check our myspace page! thanks again for taking the time! appreciate it!

Will do! I watched your another teaser aswell (you should upload it here if you haven't already). It was good too. Music and vocals were extraordinary! I'm very "pleased" that there were only beautyful clean vocs without any screams or so...Allthought I love good growls but in my little head dreamy dali-music and growls don't easily play together. Well done you all. All that was a bit out of place was those speed-ups and speed-downs. And don't get me wrong, These kind of teasers are always interesting and facinating.
Aa...And some of your stuff sounded a bit Dredg in some places, especially with vocals...*which I love.

*Suppaedit.

Will do! I watched your another teaser aswell (you should upload it here if you haven't already). It was good too. Music and vocals were extraordinary! I'm very "pleased" that there were only beautyful clean vocs without any screams or so...Allthought I love good growls but in my little head dreamy dali-music and growls don't easily play together. Well done you all. All that was a bit out of place was those speed-ups and speed-downs. And don't get me wrong, These kind of teasers are always interesting and facinating.
Aa...And some of your stuff sounded a bit Dredg in some places, especially with vocals.

yeah, i will do some screaming stuff only if the music asks for it. i like how mikael akkerfeld does it, really cool to push the whole idea forward.

glad you like our stuff! ;-) you know, i'm my worst critic, im never satisfied, but this music has to live somehow somewhere. and i have gained confidence since on this forum there were so many people making me believe in what we do in the past.
i try to do things differently, i hope people like that, although it might seem weird sometimes (like some parts in the video ;-).

Aa...And some of your stuff sounded a bit Dredg in some places, especially with vocals.

Yeah, that doesn't surpise me as Dredg wrote an entire album based on a Salvadore Dali painting.

Cool stuff though man, dcb.

It's always good to try something new. You never know if you make something really memorable and wonderful. btw. Mikael Åkerfeldt is one of my idols. He really know how to use cleans and growls.
Without people who does something own, this world wouldn't develope anywhere. Do something your own, just like true artist's do.

Yeah, that doesn't surpise me as Dredg wrote an entire album based on a Salvadore Dali painting.

Ahh, yes. I didn't know that. Excellent!

Cool stuff though man, dcb.

true, i remember that. man, how i loved dredg back in the el cielo days...
though i discovered dali through my girlfriend, she read lots and lots of books abot dali, and she told about him everyday.
he is just such an inspiring person, especially his way of becoming a "sell out" and his really tragical last years... i wished i could have met him in person,
but that was before my time....

if you're interested in dali, i totally hope your not gonna wathc "little ashes" with robert pattinson ;-) go read the books, way more interesting, how dali portayed himself.

Ok the music is cool as hell, no point in denying that.

But I absolutely LOVE that idea about recording ambient sounds; which zoom do you use, and do you find the quality good enough to use on a final product?

Danny, you should let me reamp guitars ;)

It's sounding great so far.

;-) thanks buddy! i for sure will record di tracks as well if we're not happy with our tones buddy! (and i still have work coming up for you! i'll pm you soon)

Ok the music is cool as hell, no point in denying that.

But I absolutely LOVE that idea about recording ambient sounds; which zoom do you use, and do you find the quality good enough to use on a final product?

:Smokin: cool!

its the zoom hd 2 , it just gives this album such a great atmosphere.
these places we've been to are just so magical for me, that i would love
to even record at least an acoustic live album in those places! ;-)

if you like, i'll post an example how great the zoom does sound!
this thing can absolutely be used on a final product! its also cool that its actually 4 mics in one device ;-)
so we even have surround possibilities (maybe we'll do a remix of the album in surround, would LOVE to do that)

if you like, i'll post an example how great the zoom does sound!

If you wouldn't mind just a short, raw sample, that'd be awesome! I'm really really interested in grabbing one of these (especially considering how cheap they are!) to record sounds; there's way too many places on my campus that I've wanted to sample!

Hey,
I fucking like the tunes(even if its pre)...

I'm pretty curious, difficult approach, but it seems that you achieve your goals...

Don't know if you like my comparison;) but it reminds me of Misery Signals, it has a similar deepness in the music in generary.
If that makes sense...;)

Greetz

Holy shit, that's awesome! I take it you were using the 360º mode? I really need to get one of these.

:lol: @ the German girl babbling in the background!

lol, thats actually our three girlfriends ;-)
how did you know its german ?

and yeah 360 mode.
i recorded a storm, absolutely amazing when you put on your headphones and listen to the rain coming down... i think the doors used rain on riders on the storm... amazing band btw.
i just love this ambience stuff. it also gives sooo much dimension even if you use it very subtle!

Hey,
I fucking like the tunes(even if its pre)...

I'm pretty curious, difficult approach, but it seems that you achieve your goals...

Don't know if you like my comparison;) but it reminds me of Misery Signals, it has a similar deepness in the music in generary.
If that makes sense...;)

Greetz

thank you buddy! never listened to misery signals,
i dont listen to too much music nowadays, cause great bands always infect my songwriting ;-) (like back in the days tool, meshuggah, radiohead and so on.)

lol, thats actually our three girlfriends ;-)
how did you know its german ?

and yeah 360 mode.
i recorded a storm, absolutely amazing when you put on your headphones and listen to the rain coming down... i think the doors used rain on riders on the storm... amazing band btw.
i just love this ambience stuff. it also gives sooo much dimension even if you use it very subtle!

mein deutsch ist suuuper schlect jetzt, aber habe ich im 2008 eine 'austausch programme' gemacht; eine monat im S-H (Elmshorn).

My main interest is for storms/rain/wind/etc, yeah - I know it's not waterproof, but I wounder if you could go out with it under an umbrella or something, or tuck it into your jacket, and record actual rain from outside.