My breakfast lately...

Wherewolf

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tea and 2 Percocets. I recently had surgery to re-attach my bicep tendon due to making a play during a softball game at the end of the summer. Still in a lot of pain, strange. The surgery was 2 4 inch long openings top and bottom of left arm and drilled completely through the bone where they re-attached the tendon. It has been roughly 6 weeks since surgery and the pain is still a 7 of 10 and I still have issues moving my fingers and hand let alone my arm.

It sounds like you had the distal tendon reattached? That is, the one closest to the elbow? As I understand it proximal tendon rupture (up at the shoulder end) is more frequent, but distal ruptures are not unheard of.

I had the same surgery about 6 years ago, and you shouldn't be having that much difficulty and pain this far out. An overlooked problem with this surgery is that they have to rotate your arm laterally a lot. This is done by someone grasping your wrist and literally twisting it outwards, and holding it there for a long time. No surprise that this actually severely sprains the wrist during the case. My surgeon got me through that pain, which was far worse than the actual surgical site pain, with Vioxx. Unfortunately, that's no longer on the market, but ask your surgeon about an anti-inflamatory. Celebrex is still available.

It sounds like you had the distal tendon reattached? That is, the one closest to the elbow? As I understand it proximal tendon rupture (up at the shoulder end) is more frequent, but distal ruptures are not unheard of.

I had the same surgery about 6 years ago, and you shouldn't be having that much difficulty and pain this far out. An overlooked problem with this surgery is that they have to rotate your arm laterally a lot. This is done by someone grasping your wrist and literally twisting it outwards, and holding it there for a long time. No surprise that this actually severely sprains the wrist during the case. My surgeon got me through that pain, which was far worse than the actual surgical site pain, with Vioxx. Unfortunately, that's no longer on the market, but ask your surgeon about an anti-inflamatory. Celebrex is still available.

* Thanks for the info, I am currently on Indomethicin (anti-inflamatory) which makes me sick, but part of the surgery was the risk of permanent nerve damage, I hope this is not the case.

That would blow. If Indomethicin is making you sick, ask your doctor about trying Naproxin. It is like a miracle drug for me. I take it when I throw out my back or pull a muscle, and it is incredibly effective. BTW, Advil is Naproxin.

thank you for the advice ;-)!! Aleve is naproxen and Advil is ibuprofin...no, im not addicted or anything, lolol.