My Dying Bride new album

Agonal

Jun 23, 2006
anyone looking forward to their new album For Lies I Sire? I heard the clips on myspace and they are awesome. I wish they would tour the US.

I recently picked up 'Turn Loose the Swans' because everyone kept on claiming it was such a milestone plus I love Doom and the other Peaceville crew....but I thought it was cock and really, really boring. Is it a grower? They just seem to play random atonal chords. It wasn't nearly heavy enough to constitute proper doom, nor melodic enough to be sadly gothic. I think I'll stick with Paradise Lost for my English doom.

They're an acquired taste. If you don't like them, you're probably not going to, sad to say. I think they have cool riffs and their productions tend to have a nice organic vibe.

They're an acquired taste. If you don't like them, you're probably not going to, sad to say. I think they have cool riffs and their productions tend to have a nice organic vibe.

Fair enough, I quite like some of the later stuff that I have heard... predictably 'Catherine Blake'. I do like the production of the 90's Peaceville stuff though, TLTS sounds really good and I love Draconian Times as well. Big drums and less fizzy guitars than most modern records.

I recently picked up 'Turn Loose the Swans' because everyone kept on claiming it was such a milestone plus I love Doom and the other Peaceville crew....but I thought it was cock and really, really boring. Is it a grower? They just seem to play random atonal chords. It wasn't nearly heavy enough to constitute proper doom, nor melodic enough to be sadly gothic. I think I'll stick with Paradise Lost for my English doom.

Maybe check out "The Thrash of Naked Limbs".

That's great stuff. I have loved it since the day it was released...........................not that that means anything. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

I can see how you might find them boring, but not heavy enough to constitute proper doom?

I always considered songs like the title song as pretty damn heavy, alot heavier than most of the stuff past off as doom today :loco:.

Guess my taste is the opposite of yours as I thought they were going downhill fast from "the light at the of the world" onwards :lol:. I still love the old stuff however, with that great dirty organic sound, Aaron's whining voice, nearly incomprehensible lyrics and great artwork (especially compared to the ugly photoshop crap they've been putting on the last couple of albums :erk:). They were actually one of the bands that got me into playing.

I do love that they have a violin player again, sounded great live last time I saw them and it seem to inspire them to play a lot of material from the first two albums + the early EPs