my first attempt at a demo!

TTOS

Feb 12, 2007
Southampton, UK
myspace.com
Here's my first attempt at recording, bear in mind it is a demo and with my gear and rehersal space it will never sound amazing. Any tips would be very much appriciated!

Gear: kicks- triggered via a TD-12 recorded as a mono track (I now record a midi track, now that I've worked out how to use it!)

Snare: Top only mic'd with a 57

Toms (x3) Samson Q-Tom mics

Overheads (C1000's)

Guitar1 : (Right side triple rec with an sm57)

Guitar 2 and lead (Left side Marshall 1970's superlead with a tubescreamer, sm57)

Both guitars went through a Marsahall 1960 slant with very tired old speakers

Bass Di straight into DAW

Vox: Behringer C1 > Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN T1953

I used a Firepod with Cubase SX2. The main plugins I used were the standard Cubase dynamics and reverbs. I did use Voxengo Voxformer on the vocals.

It was just under a year ago and I've learnt a lot since then. For my next attempt I'll be recording a triggered midi track of snare and bass drums (snare will be for reinforcement only, but the triggered kicks will be the only kick sound) I will double mic the snare, and I'll be using superlux tom mics on the toms. The Samson ones are total shit.
As for the guitars i will insist on a better sound from both guitarists with a lot less gain (no matter how much they whine!) I will also Di the guitars as well as mic the cabs so I can have a play with guitar rig and see what happens. I made a big mistake by just Di'ing the bass. Next time I'll mic the cab with a 57 and Di. I'll also be using a pretty much brand new Peavy xxx cab for the guitars as I've been reading up on the imortance of using a good cab.

I'm quite pleased for my first attempt and with the budget gear I've got. I know a lot of people will think it sound's shit, so I'm open to any critisism!

Here are the tracks:

http://www.eternaltorment.co.uk/mp3/

I never thought I'd say this, but I think the Marshall sounds better than the Mesa. I personally like the combination of the tones you've got here. I agree, I would reamp the bass (hopefully through a SVT). Try recording it with all your mics first. We found that an i5 sounded best. The snare most specifically needs help, but I can't quite put my finger on what. I like that kick though!

Nicely done! :kickass:

Note: I'm listening to Arms of Oblivion.