My first paid work - Distress Of Ruin - FFO: Insomnium, Lamb Of God

Ronixis

Rocket surgeon
Dec 1, 2006
Finland
DISTRESS OF RUIN - PREDATORS AMONG US (2013)

Distress%20Of%20Ruin%20-%20Predators%20Among%20Us%20%282013%29%20-%20Album%20Cover.jpg

Download and stream the whole EP for free: http://www.distressofruin.com/

This is my first paid recording job. So far I've only recorded two EP's for my own band Nerve End. The whole release was produced, recorded, mixed and mastered by me. Feel free to ask me ANYTHING about the production! All feedback is welcome, so go ahead!

Thanks! :kickass:

Sorry i can't check it out now, but I adore Insomnium so I'll post back when I get home. Glad to know I'm not the only one hear who has only recorded a few bands for money. I love the Nerve End stuff btw

Sorry i can't check it out now, but I adore Insomnium so I'll post back when I get home. Glad to know I'm not the only one hear who has only recorded a few bands for money. I love the Nerve End stuff btw

Thanks! Let me know what you think when you get home :)

Pretty dang good mix man! I wish it sounded a little more "open", which might be due to some frequency overlapping between the instruments. They still all sound great together though!

Love the toms, very curious what samples those are?

I really like how the screaming was handled, any saturation on it?

I used a freeware compressor called "Blockfish" on the vocals. It has some saturation, but it's pretty transparent. The extra grit comes from doubling every take.

Could you give details about the processing ? (especially drums and guitars)

Guitar patch went something like this:
TSE 808 -> EQ -> GreenGate -> TSE X50 -> GreenGate -> Lepou LeCab 2 -> Waves C4 -> EQ

There was also a bit of matching EQ on the guitar group track.

Drums are Steven Slate Drums with Joey Sturgis snare sample and shoulder city tom samples. If I remember right, the kick sample is from some Fear Factory record. I did tons of stuff when mixing drums. Snare has a Gclip. The original snare room sound is compressed to shit and gated. I used SSL LMC-1 on the overheads. Parallel compressed everything with Waves Vcomp. Used bunch of reverbs here and there.

Thanks for the details.

I am very surprised about 2 things ;

"TSE 808 -> EQ -> GreenGate -> TSE X50 -> GreenGate -> Lepou LeCab 2 -> Waves C4 -> EQ"

It seems strange to me to put an EQ just after the TSE 808, I don't know what is the aim to do that ?? could you explain what you look for ? it is very interesting. why are you puting the greengate 2 times ? what is the impulse ?

The other thing that sounds strange is that you use Match EQ for the rythm guitar... I know that you are very good at mixing and it seems strange to me that you need a match eq for achieving your guitar sound... for information, what band did you match ?

Thanks for the details.

I am very surprised about 2 things ;

"TSE 808 -> EQ -> GreenGate -> TSE X50 -> GreenGate -> Lepou LeCab 2 -> Waves C4 -> EQ"

It seems strange to me to put an EQ just after the TSE 808, I don't know what is the aim to do that ?? could you explain what you look for ? it is very interesting. why are you puting the greengate 2 times ? what is the impulse ?

The other thing that sounds strange is that you use Match EQ for the rythm guitar... I know that you are very good at mixing and it seems strange to me that you need a match eq for achieving your guitar sound... for information, what band did you match ?

- I used the EQ in front of the amp sim to boost certain frequencies, which affects how the distortion behaves.

- It seems that I get the most transparent gating when used before and after the amp.

- I use match EQ also on bass group and master. Usually the settings are on something like 5 - 15 %. It doesn't affect the sound too much, just gives it a little bit of flavour and personality. I think I matched the guitars to some Killswitch Engage record.

- Sorry, can't remember the exact impulses I used. I need to check that later.