My ideal band

ThePeytonator

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2011
I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now, and I would like to form the band that I've wanted to for a while now. I like a lot of different kinds of metal, but as for my band I want there to be a certain catchyness to the music.

My favorite kind of metal would have to be melodeath. I like thrash in moderation, but my problem is that it so often sounds the same, and I don't feel like there's much room for growth in that genre. Folk metal is just about as kickass as melodeath. I have a feeling most people here hate metalcore, but I like some of it, specifically Unearth. They're a fucking beast of a band who are only getting better with age.

In my band I want to go for a melodeath/folky sound. I would want shredding thrashlike guitar solos, with some ridiculous keyboard solos thrown in there. I also want to learn how to play fiddle so in a couple songs I'd play an epic fiddle solo. My predicament is how to go about the vocals. Obviously being a fan of the metal, I am alright with screaming vocals. However, in my band, I want to have a harsh singing. Kinda like Phil from Pantera or even Master of Puppets James Hetfield.

Anyway....I guess my question is would harsh singing go well with melodic/folk/death metal, because all I've ever heard in these kinds of bands are screaming? Also how epic would a fiddle solo be in such a band?

I guess "harsh" may not be the right word to describe what I want to go for. I want actual singing in my band but I don't want to sound like a bunch of pussies with All That Remains style singing.

I think Phil Anselmo has the best metal voice of all time but I've never heard him in a melodeath band.