My insatiable metal appetite needs feeding!

djh205

djh205
Apr 29, 2007
England
I'm currently into bands like Opeth, Novembre, Agalloch, Tool, Mastodon, Gojira, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia, Isis, Cult of Luna and Pelican but feel there's more out there that i'm missing out on.

Given the type of metal i listen to could you please point out some more bands that would be worth looking at, bearing in mind i'm not a huge fan of black metal or brutal death?

Thankyou

shadow gallery
flower kings
porcupine tree
dissection (BM band but I think you would enjoy them)
king crimson (70s prog)
dream theater (wanky Prog metal, it's alright)

I rather like November's Doom (Last 2 albums are a bit more...death metally), Daylight Dies and Swallow The Sun for doom/death/gloomy stuff.

Do you listen to any classic doom stuff like...say...Candlemass? Or Cathedral. They both rock.

Thanks guys i've just begun to check out some of the bands suggested. It's a bit of a long-winded process but so far Tiamat, Therion and Dissection seem pretty decent.

I've also been meaning to check out November's Doom for some time, i heard they were pretty good. I don't dislike death metal but (hence why i like Opeth) but i just don't like stuff like Necrophagist.

Thanks again

Just saw this thread, you are definetely missing out on Draconian if you like Katatonia and Opeth. They are a Sweedish Doom Metal band who combine death growls with female vocals (well) and have been around for a while (their first high quality demo was released in 1995).

EDIT: Just though I would add a link - www.myspace.com/draconianmetal

One of the bands most recognisable features is the heavy use of spoken verse

I've also been meaning to check out November's Doom for some time, i heard they were pretty good. I don't dislike death metal but (hence why i like Opeth) but i just don't like stuff like Necrophagist.

Thats cause Necrophagist are shit.
Anyways, listen to Death, they are essential. Go for the latter releases first. Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Sound of Perseverence and Symbolic is a good place to start.

I'm currently into bands like Opeth, Novembre, Agalloch, Tool, Mastodon, Gojira, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia, Isis, Cult of Luna and Pelican but feel there's more out there that i'm missing out on.

Given the type of metal i listen to could you please point out some more bands that would be worth looking at, bearing in mind i'm not a huge fan of black metal or brutal death?

Thankyou

Judging by your taste I suggest:

Burnt By The Sun
Cathedral
Candlemass
Candiria
Theatre of Tragedy
Amorphis
Shadows Fall
Paradise Lost
Neurosis
Celtic Frost

There's a hell of a lot of bands there for me to check out!

Does anyone know the best place for me to download some of them? Myspace is alright i guess but you really need to listen to an album to get a proper feel for a band.

If you want good Progressive Metal, I'd suggest Evergrey, Pain of Salvation, Green Carnation, Spiral Architect, Symphony X, Fates Warning.

There are more, but these bands are the best, IMO.

Just saw this thread, you are definetely missing out on Draconian if you like Katatonia and Opeth. They are a Sweedish Doom Metal band who combine death growls with female vocals (well) and have been around for a while (their first high quality demo was released in 1995).

EDIT: Just though I would add a link - www.myspace.com/draconianmetal

One of the bands most recognisable features is the heavy use of spoken verse

I totally agree with you even if I'm not the biggest doom fan:headbang: , Draconian are the most underrated band of all times. Since their first Demo, they produce some of the best doom-gothic metal anyone could need. Arcane Rain Fell it's on my top 10 album (all times, all styles of metal ), once I put "Death come near me " in the repeat button for 3 hours and I didn't get sick of that song.

Thankyou

If you like Gojira you should listen to Testament - The gathering and Morbid Angel - Domination, even if you're not a big fan of death. Rapture - Songs for the withering it's another forgotten masterpiece all katatonia fans should listen.Enslaved - Ruun is in my opinion a black metal record you'll love.:kickass:

For progressive blackmetal/doom/death(hard to categorize,sound like Opeth at times) try Thurisaz-Circadian Rhythm

and Rapture for doom/death
if you like Gojira try Strapping Young Lad

I totally agree with you even if I'm not the biggest doom fan:headbang: , Draconian are the most underrated band of all times. Since their first Demo, they produce some of the best doom-gothic metal anyone could need. Arcane Rain Fell it's on my top 10 album (all times, all styles of metal ), once I put "Death come near me " in the repeat button for 3 hours and I didn't get sick of that song.

Death come near me is an awesome song, I think I did the same with the song Dark Oceans from Dark Oceans We May Cry. One of my all time favourite songs is probably The Gothic Embrace.

You have very similar tastes to me djh! So I would recommend:

Orphaned Land: Mabool
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Amorphis - Elegy
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
The Gathering - Souvenirs
Shape of Despair - any
Wintersun - Wintersun
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic

Thanks Son of Evil for the Pain of Salvation tip off - just managed to listen to The Pefect Element Part I and thought it's definitely gonna be a grower.

Enslaved and Draconian seem pretty good as well judging by their myspace's for everyone who recommended them.

Not sure about Strapping Young Lad though they seem too 'thrashy'. I like Gojira because they're heavy but they don't overdo it with blastbeats and the like. Are Strapping Young Lad always like that?