My latest work (no samples/autotune/quantizing)

This is my friends band, kind of alternative music pretty different to what I normally work with. The drummer is a really talented guy, and the vocalist has a lot of experience recording.

Drums were a Gretch Renown kit, with an old premier snare. The skins were a little old, especially on the toms, but I have left the originals in for now. Think they were ambassadors, but its been a while since we tracked the drums.

Mics for the kit were:

D6 - kick
sm57 - snare
D2 & D4 - toms
AT4040 - room
NT5's - OH
NT1A - hats
sm58 - ride
ddrum triggers to trigger gates also

guitars were a fender mex tele

bass was a fender p bass

vocals were AT4040

pretty much everything went into a Mackie Onyx 800R

This was mixed in Logic, its only really a first mix, so I'm sure Ill have many more amendments to make. Lots of URS CSP's and metric halos used here. All reverbs were space designer.

Soundclick Link

Link 1

Link 2

I think the kick is punching out too much dude, the snare is a little as well, but not as much as the kick. Not necessarily a volume thing, maybe needs to be more raw sounding (less hi-fi) and more of the room mic in there.

I think the kick is punching out too much dude, the snare is a little as well, but not as much as the kick. Not necessarily a volume thing, maybe needs to be more raw sounding (less hi-fi) and more of the room mic in there.

I agree with this.

it sounds good though:kickass:

OK guys I'll work on the kick a little. I actually used very little EQ and compression on the kick, the D6 sounds pretty "metal" straight off so maybe I should stick more mids in. Also I could probably take some of the really deep lows out to help control it a bit more.

Keith: when you say too loud do you mean the mix in general (as in the mastering), or the kick is too loud?

OK guys I'll work on the kick a little. I actually used very little EQ and compression on the kick, the D6 sounds pretty "metal" straight off so maybe I should stick more mids in. Also I could probably take some of the really deep lows out to help control it a bit more.

Keith: when you say too loud do you mean the mix in general (as in the mastering), or the kick is too loud?

both

mix sounds great to me, I kind of like the way the kick sounds more pronounced than you would expect out of this style, it does seem a bit loud all in all though,