My Live After Death review

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
This album rocks! Bruces voice sounds great :) Also impressive was how well Adrian and Dave played, especially the harmonies and leads.
Revelations sounds awesome, as does 2 Minutes To Midnight, Children Of The Damned, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Aces High and Phantom Of The Opera. I can see why everyone says this album is so great!
I was disappointed they didnt play Wasted Years until I realised Iron Maiden dont in fact have access to a time machine.
The crowd though.... WTF is with them? I could make more noise in my loungeroom watching the LAD video :(
Scream for me Longbeach? Yell? Clap? Whistle? F**KING yawn? Do SOMETHING you miserable bastards!
All in all it gets 5 out of 5 and my royal seal of approval.

Heres some other reviews of the cds I bought when I got LAD, for no other reason that that they are good and you should buy them too....

Seven Witches:Xiled To Infinity And One - This is so much like Judas Priest crossed with early Metallica!
Im so confident you will enjoy this album im not even going to give you an MP3 to get to see, just buy it and thank me later.
Or download "Warmth Of Winter", then buy it, whichever you prefer.
The singer can do those wailing Halford-esque screams really well, and the first song is called Metal Tyrant.
These guys are so metal they are going to put a code for them on the periodic table.
Jon Oliva does a metal duet thingy on one track, and Joe Comeau from Annihilator does one as well.
:headbang:
Great album!

Andrew W.K.: I Get Wet - This is the greatest air guitar album ever. EVER. E. V. E. R.
Imagine Twisted Sister crossed with The Ramones, thats this guy. I cant help but smile when I listen to the album, stupid lyrics, dumb song titles and what sounds like a casio keyboard (for ages 4 and up) amount to a very good album indeed :)
Titles like: Its Time To Party, Party Till You Puke, Party Hard and so on tell you all you need to know.
Plus its only 21 dollars, which is good value says I. I highly recommend it, especially to anyone that remembers the 80s :) If you LIVE the 80s like Troops, you will like it even more.

spawn - cool review man. I remember reading an interview with Steve Harris and he said the crowd at Long Beach were pretty friggin' loud, but they sound so quiet on the CD. He also said that european and south american crowds have always been louder and more fanatical. So 13,000 fans in LA wouldnt be anywhere as noisy as 250,000 in Rio, so maybe its appropriate that RIR captured more of the crowd noise.

It's simply the difference between then and now.

Live albums then - Live After Death, Made In Japan, Live Evil, Live.. In The Raw - The crowd was always taken right out of the mix.

Now days things have changed, Listener 'taste' has changed. The crowd is just as important part of the mix as the band.

Reactions: VoltronLions
Yeah Europeans are always the noisiest, luckily in this case Maiden performed the songs so well it didnt matter, it would have been nice to hear more than the occasional clap though :)
Especially when he goes "Sing it with me!" and you cant hear the crowd :lol:
I figured it had been turned down because they are quite loud in some bits and in others not there at all, so I knew someone had been fiddling with the crowd volume (unless they went to the bar en masse for certain songs?)
(They turned down the crowd on Alive In Athens too :( )

I forgot to add that Powerslave rocked as well, especially the spooky intro bit!

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is the only song from Powerslave where I prefer the studio version.

Revelations on LAD makes the studio version sound sooo slooow in comparison. In fact, several of the songs work so much better on Live After Death (Flight of Icarus, 22 Acacia Ave, Children of the Damned etc) - that's what makes LAD so important amongst Iron Maiden fanatics. No metal collection is complete without it.

Having said that, I always think Wrathchild and Phantom sound a little better live with Paul D'Ianno, but Bruce is still amazing. They're just different I guess.

From Ed Hunter, which version of Wrathchild did everyone prefer? Bruce or Paul? :)

Originally posted by Sydo
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is the only song from Powerslave where I prefer the studio version.

Ive never actually made it through that whole song once yet.

Maestro: I agree, Revelations is WAY better live!

I think the crowd is mixed in perfectly on LAD and sound great. Not to loud but loud enough to hear. Basically Bircho did a brilliant job mixing that album! Everything about the production is just perfect. Ive never heard a live album that can match the atmosphere LAD has :D

Scream For Me Brazil has the best atmosphere! Closely followed by Halfords one :D IMHO of course :)

I agree, that song is AWESOME on the live album! :headbang:

Sydo, why dont you like Scream For Me Brazil? :confused:

I reckon Scream for me Brazil rocks!

Ozzy's Live and Loud album has perhaps the best atmosphere for me.

Originally posted by maestro_al

From Ed Hunter, which version of Wrathchild did everyone prefer? Bruce or Paul? :)

Brucies version was on the US version only (IIRC) :mad: That said, it is available on MP3 (lets face it, what isn't). And that said again, I like Paul on Wrathchild.

Originally posted by Winmar
Ozzy's Live and Loud album has perhaps the best atmosphere for me.

Oh yeah!! Great video too! :)

Scream For Me sounds like mud to me. :( And let's face it, there's no way to top the originals from Accident and Chemical Wedding either. :)
I must admit I havn't listened to Scream For Me in about a year. I'm about to go out and buy Rock In Rio, so I'll give it (Scream..) a listen in the car.

Originally posted by Sydo

I must admit I havn't listened to Scream For Me in about a year. I'm about to go out and buy Rock In Rio, so I'll give it (Scream..) a listen in the car.

The crowd Sydo, the crowd :D

I think for atmosphere, Kiss Alive will never be matched personally. Nothing captures the spirit of rock n roll like that album hehe. :D

Well I just remember another 2 reasons why I don't like Scream For Me Brazil.
1. No songs from Tattooed or Skunkworks.
2. I really hate silly banter between songs. Especially poetry.

Silly banter rules! :)

"Theres a nice old draft coming right the way across the stage, I dont know what the portugese is, but shut the fucking door alright? Ill catch my death of cold up here"

:headbang: