My Monitor Setup = Bad?

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
I didn't know quite how to word the title, but here's my question:

Do I have my monitors setup correctly?
When I playback my mixes, my stereo image seems to be fucked up. :/

Example:
If I pan my overheads 100% L and R, and then mute the left overhead, the right overhead still comes out of my left speaker.

However, if I mixdown and listen on another device (like computer speakers, laptop speakers, surround sound, etc.) the right overhead ONLY comes out of the right speakers.

I'm using a FireStudio with my monitors in plugged into the main outs on the back.

Thanks for any help!

I had this problem with my saffire pro. Check in the control panel of the FireStudio that the DAW outputs you are using are panned hard left & hard right.

So I just opened my mixer, and the DAW 1 & DAW 2 outputs were definitely centered.

I hard-panned them L50 and R50 (that's as far as they would go), and now it sounds like it supposed to.

BUTTTT, now I feel like I've lost the center of my mix.

Is this just because I've been listening to my monitors the wrong way?

So I just opened my mixer, and the DAW 1 & DAW 2 outputs were definitely centered.

I hard-panned them L50 and R50 (that's as far as they would go), and now it sounds like it supposed to.

BUTTTT, now I feel like I've lost the center of my mix.

Is this just because I've been listening to my monitors the wrong way?

You might just be used to the sound of having the L/R channels overlap.

I like to position the monitors facing me, with my heads and the monitors forming an equilateral triangle. I use Mackie HR824s and this sounds best to me.

Am I correct in panning the DAW outputs, though?

I'm currently listening to my mixes, and pro mixes, and the guitars are really loud now.

Things that are centered: drums, vocals, bass are now harder to hear.

Should I pan differently?

Or what?

Stereo is basically just two mono signals at 100% opposite pan. You may just need to adjust to hearing things this way.

Well, what I guess I'm asking is...

Am I correct in the fact that NOTHING from the left channel that is panned 100% L should be coming out of the right speaker?

And vise versa?

Yes, if it is panned 100% left then nothing should come out of the right side, and vice-versa. A snare should sound like it's coming from in between them, etc.

Okay, thank youu. :)

So I guess I will just have to get used to hearing things this way! Phewww.

I was always wondering why people said my guitars were uber loud! :D

Haha.