My new band, first project done start to end in my new studio. Southern-y hardcore.

Potshot

Aug 26, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
http://natron.bandcamp.com/album/dead-like-me

Bought the place in august, and while I've done a few things here and there for people, such as drums playthroughs and the odd single, etc, finished a bunch of mixes and such I started elsewhere, this is the first album I've completed from start to finish in the place. Super happy with the drum sounds I'm pulling in there.

Drums were a Bubinga Tama Starclassic with a Ludwig Black Beauty snare, used Line audio CM3's for OH's, some NT55's for spot mics, MK4's for hats and ride, 901 in on the kick, 902 out, i5 on snare top, SM7 on bottom, 421's on toms, Rode NT2A's on rooms.

Guitars were a Gibson Les Paul originally tracked through a heavily boosted JMP but ended up reamping through a 5150 block letter into a Marshall 1960a with 2x MD421's, one into an API312 and the other into a UA6176.

Bass was my Warwick $$ DI'd through a Little Labs Redeye 3D, split to high/low and processed ITB.

Vocals were an SM7 into the UA6176.

I like the mix a lot and enjoy the kick being tucked away like it is. Everything seems to fit in place to my ears except the vocals. They sound a little dry and maybe like they could have used less HP and more compression. I would have played with using multiple mics at different distances in a room(s) to pull more attention to certain phrases. Maybe panning layers off a little more from the center. I always think of how Glow In The Dark handled Underoaths vocals with their past few albums as far as production is concerned.

That's just me being way specific with advice. Overall it's killer dude and I hope to hear more work from your place!

Cheers mate! I actually wrestled with that to be honest for a couple of reasons, I'd comped them pretty hard as they went in through a hardware 1176 on 20:1 and then each individual channel had a CLA76 as well as the vocal group also having a CLA76 on it, problem for me was the vocalists technique has a bit of a bassy undertone going on that I had to HPF out or it bothered me incessantly, tried a bunch of stuff with verbs and such but in the end I just preferred it a bit dry and wretched sounding. I've always gone for the single mic thing, never really thought about setting up multiples, but I might give that a bash next time round, cheers for the idea and constructive criticism!