my new mix studio

Ronnie_Rocker

Mar 21, 2006
sweden
www.ronniebjornstrom.com
i got me some new gear this week. new monitors, Yamaha HS80M. RME Fireface 800, Behringer ADA8000 8 channel preamp (total of 18 in/ut now), Linn LK100 poweramp with my old pioneer speakers (small referense listening in the studio)

The desk is a Soundcraft 500 Series. 24 channel, 8 buss. i like the preamps and eq on this desk. i also got some new plugins for my UAD-1 cards. Neve busscompressor, 88RS channelstrip and a new precision maximizer.

Canopymixning102.jpg

Sweet!
I've gotta get an LCD monitor. Right now I've got this ancient HUGE AS FUCK 20" CRT and I've gotta keep my speaker far away so it doesn't magnetically freak out. haha.

Now how do you really use the board? Do you run everything through it while mixing and eq and stuff on the board then back to box for final mixing?

Just curious how you go about mixing with that really......

the stands can be a bit wobbly depending on how they're set up...i don't know if you're on carpet or not, but if so, you really have to have those spikes in!

Heh, old thread, but dude, you've got the same monitors, the same stands, the same widescreen and the same chair as I do. Do you find the stands a bit wobbly, too? I'm kinda afraid for my precious yammies :D

I have same stands too and find them wobbly and shitty too. Never should have purchased these pieces of shit. They are uneven at height too, other one being taller :puke:
OFFTOPIC : BTW jhawke I just checked your website, you charge 15€ for mixing a 4 minute song, nothing against it, but I think thats way too low. That way a full lenght album would cost something like 150€ and thats horribly lot of work to be done for 150 euros !

Since we're on the speaker stand topic: what speaker stands ARE actually good? We really have to get some for the studio and I'd hate to get crappy ones. Preferably something that is carried by Thomann too, since that's where I make most of my purchases.

I have same stands too and find them wobbly and shitty too. Never should have purchased these pieces of shit. They are uneven at height too, other one being taller :puke:
OFFTOPIC : BTW jhawke I just checked your website, you charge 15€ for mixing a 4 minute song, nothing against it, but I think thats way too low. That way a full lenght album would cost something like 150€ and thats horribly lot of work to be done for 150 euros !

Heh, I know, the site is more of a layout test than anything else, since it's not visible anywhere but my signature on this board :) Didn't put much thought on the content and I'll definitely redo it once I get a domain name and start "advertising" my services. I have always done these kind of jobs on a friend-of-a-friend-pays-whatever-feels-sufficient basis, so I'll have to come up with a reasonable pricing once I get the site out to the public. Haven't decided yet if it'll be an hour rate or pricing per minute, but it'll be a bit more than what's on the site now. Nothing stellar, of course :)

i never found speakers stands that worked for me, any 8" monitors and above never felt comfortable on those cheaper metal stands.

so wood is cheap, make em yourself.

questions, those Yamahas, can you position them on their sides like you did, first glance seems like they wouldnt work on their sides.

I love the Yammies too. I think it would take a lot of upgrading in other areas to make them a weak link. I'm always confident that any mistakes in my mixes are down to my ears and not the monitors.

i never found speakers stands that worked for me, any 8" monitors and above never felt comfortable on those cheaper metal stands.

so wood is cheap, make em yourself.

Good idea, I think I will look into that. I found numerous examples when I searched so I have some ideas. The one with a PVC pipe seems pretty good, since you can fill them with sand very easily. Anyone built those successfully? Or did anyone try something else that worked well?