Deliverance

1. Wreath
2. Deliverance
3. A Fair Judgement
4. For Absent Friends
5. Masters Apprentices
6. By The Pain I See In Others

=====

It's been a funny old year. Relatively few albums have made the grade and as such, unoriginal and bland bands like "The Datsuns" have been hailed as the saviours of music. Thankfully, for those of us with a little taste, we have Opeth as our musical redemption for the year, because in "Deliverance" they have finally produced an album which amounts to more than flavour of the week.

Opeth already being one of the most celebrated and critically acclaimed metal bands on the planet, decided to split their newest recording session into two albums. The first would be a heavy mosh-friendly effort, Deliverance, and the second would be a collection of the emotional, touching side of Opeth called "Damnation" which is to be released in Spring 2003. Why Opeth would do this, and subsequently sacrafice the completeness of their previous albums which combined the two sides of Opeth to great effect, is somewhat of a mystery - they are only being paid the equivalent of one album so cashing-in on their growing popularity is definitely out of the question. Whatever the reason, I am pleased to say that quality has not been sacrificed and "Deliverance" feels and sounds as great as any release before it - although there is no question it lacks the touching emotional side that normally comes with an Opeth album.

But Opeth have not tried to sell this as a normal album, they have publically announced the decision to release two seperate albums this time around and as long as you remember that fact when listening to this, you will not be dissapointed - because if there is one thing that this album delivers without a shadow of a doubt is heavy headbanging music at it's best.

My initial impressions of this album were not very good, apart from the epic opening track I found most of the songs to be quite hard to grasp and found them very difficult to listen to for the entire durating of the song. The album sees the proggresive/black-metal combination contain far more of the progressive than on any of the previous albums, and for people who aren't big fans of that genre, they will almost certainly run into the same problems as I did. But thankfully, Opeth aren't stupid and like the clever chaps that they are, made sure that the two most familiar and easily accessible songs on the album are also the first two songs on the album.

2 seconds pass and already a brilliant thunderous drum beat, orgasmic roar from Mikael Akerfeldt and heavy roaring guitars have passed. Welcome, to Deliverance. Opening track "Wreath" is classic Opeth and is the least experimental of the 5 main songs on the album, almost anyone listening to the album who has previous experience of Opeth will find this song as the saving grace of an album which needs time to grow. The techniques and overall feel of this song sound so familiar it could indeed have been lifted straight from "My Arms, Your Hears" and you wouldn't know the difference. Not that this a bad thing, the afforementioned album contains arguably the best of Opeths heavy material with classics like "April Ethereal", "When" and "Demon of the Fall" and so what better way to start a heavy album off with a song which sounds like the best of all these songs whilst still sounding fresh? Putting this song as the opening track was an asbsolute masterstroke not only does it gently ease fans back into the ways of Opeth but also sets up the tone and mood of the rest of the album perfectly.

If the beginning of "Wreath" was impressive then the beginning of self-titled "Deliverance" is godlike, much like the rest of the song then. Within 4 or 5 listens I had already found the song which could very well be my new favourite Opeth track, it contains so much innovation and brilliance whilst still remaining faithful to the "My Arms, Your Hearse" heavy guitars and fast drums feel. The first real signs of progressive metal also emerge, with some highly impressive melodic singing being one of the (many) highlights of this song as well as fantastic acoustic riffs, as the songs switches constantly between the chaotic style of the opening and melodic brilliance. Just as you begin to pick your chin off the floor, the absolutely fantastic climax of the song begins - a mix of fantastic speed drumming and delicious black-metal guitarwork. This truly is over 13 minutes of absolute brilliance, and every second of it will hold your attention.

What better way to follow up the two most accessible songs than with the least accessible? The beginning of "A Fair Judgement" couldn't be any further away from the previous two songs, a slow piano beat eventually accompanied by some soft melodic singing lasts for well over a minute before the song gradually kicks off in an unspectacular fashion. To be honest, the previous songs were so like the material on MAYH I was genuinely expecting a false start similar to "When", but thankfully this is where Deliverance becomes a unique and creative album of it's own right. The majority of the vocals are melodic, and even the heavy riffs in this song sounds of progressive metal - so most fans of artists such as Ayreon will regard this song highly right away, whereas people in the same situation as myself will eventually take to it's catchy riffs and soothing vocals over time. This track merely familiarises people with the added progressive elements of Opeth without being overly spectacular, although it has enough bits and bobs to hold your attention the entire time. I am tempted to say it's the weakest song on the album, but that would not be doing it justice as it is still a great song, it just doesn't match up to the impeccable standards of the other 4 main songs.

After the small 2-minute acoustic track "For Absent Friends", the album gets back to it's heavy self with the phenomenal "Masters Apprentices" which sounds like the best of "Deliverance" and "A Fair Judgement" combined, brillaint heavy black-metal riffs and classic growling vocals dominate the song, but some quite bizzare poppy acoustic parts intersect the heavy material to amazing effect. The song gets better and better as it progresses, the vocals progressing slowly towards melodic singing, and then the bizzare acoustic part hits and vocals which I haven't heard the likes of before on any Opeth song are supported by acoustic guitars which wouldn't sound of place on an indie album, one of the best comparisons I've heard of this section of this song compared it the "beach boys" if that's any indication how bizzare it is. Just as you begin to get worried that you're actually loving this part of the song, one of the best moments of the album arrives with vocals and roaring reminiscent of "Demon of the Fall" from "My Arms, Your Hearse" and a dark heavy riff kick in(and finish the song) just to remind you that you are indeed listening to Opeth.

The album draws to a close with the equally brilliant "By The Pain I See In Others" which is the most experimental and creative song on the album, mixing heavy riffs with melodic singing and demonic vocals with soft acoustics at will, random high-speed "helicopter" kickdrums appear throughout as well as brilliant guitar solo's and not to forget another moment of bizzareness which even exceeds the "Beach Boys" part of the previous song, equally weird vocals support carnival style music this time round but it's a brief moment of change this time round. The song goes from strength to stength after this part with more weird progressive interludes appearing throughout as well as odd percussion arrangements, fans of progressive metal will more than likely take to this song more than any other. Unfortunately, the album draws to a dissapointing finish, with the song ending abruptly after just over 9 minutes of a 13 minute track, and the remainder of the song is pretty clichéd random noise(think Motion Picture Soundtrack of "KID A" by Radiohead).

Musically, this is by far the most creative and inventive Opeth album to date, and arguably the best as well but as an album it doesn't have the emotional appeal of some of the other releases. It is far more like "My Arms, Your Hearse" in it's mood, but the resemblences to previous albums end there, the increased progressive influence on the album certainly makes a difference and this album has as distinct a sound as any other. For me this is easily the best album of 2002 and also one of my favourite albums of all time already, and another success story in the Opeth legacy.

Rating: 10/10

Thanks. :)

I didn't really know how to describe the riffs..Opeth are really the only band I listen to from this sort of genre(I listen to some Children of Bodom, Soilwork, Ayreon, Sonata Arctica and a few others as well but I dont any albums or anything) so I'm kinda foreign to the terminology, but who cares indeed ;)

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
Thanks. :)

I didn't really know how to describe the riffs..Opeth are really the only band I listen to from this sort of genre(I listen to some Children of Bodom, Soilwork, Ayreon, Sonata Arctica and a few others as well but I dont any albums or anything) so I'm kinda foreign to the terminology, but who cares indeed ;)

you're welcome :)

I always get enlighted by reading a positive review :)

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
Opeth
Deliverance

Relatively few albums have made the grade and as such, unoriginal and bland bands like "The Datsuns" have been hailed as the saviours of music. Thankfully, for those of us with a little taste, we have Opeth as our musical redemption for the year, because in "Deliverance" they have finally produced an album which amounts to more than flavour of the week.

[/B]

Oh god, the fucking Datsuns!! Argh they should burn in hell. Its all about the rock revival which frankly shouldn'y be happening anyways. This stood out because the Datsuns are from my country, New Zealand, I'm sick of their horrible tone deaf crap cluttering up TV, people raving about how 'rock' they are. Them and the Strokes and Hives should all be thrown on a massive bonfire.

Great review! :)

I agree with Static. Strokes, Hives, Datsuns, some of the worst music I've ever heard in nearly every conceivable way.

I also strongly dislike Deliverance, so I can't temper this with a "great review!", either. But at least it was well articulated.

nice review .....i dunno if it's been mentioned but for the "random noises" on by the pain i see in others ... play the ending part BACKWARDS ;) ....you'll hear Mikael singing parts of the Masters Apprentices song ...

2 seconds pass and already a brilliant thunderous drum beat, orgasmic roar from Mikael Akerfeldt

LOL
Do you think Mikael growls like that in bed?

Good review, although I disagree with your bit on "Deliverance" being more progressive than their other efforts.

Static -

To answer your question:

Farbeit for me to come off as one of those idiots who think that their opinions are objective, the type that used to pepper the (now-defunct) In Flames forum with "Reroute to Remain SUXXXXX!" posts, I simply dislike Deliverance on the grounds that it's not in keeping with what I enjoy about Opeth. Master's Apprentice's review articulates nicely the (comparatively) noticable lack of the slow, somber, beautiful acoustic parts that I love so much. In short, it's wayyyyy too aggressive for me.

Suffice it to say, I am impatiently awaiting the Spring of '03.

Cheers,

Fathomless

Yeh thats actually one of the things that stands out as the one thing wrong with the disc, its the lack of calmer bits and I feel that Deliverance doesn't have enough emotion compared to the others. However, to me thats the only thing wrong with it and I think its brilliant, more progressive and adventurous than what I expected after seeing where BWP was headed.

To me, Deliverance oozes emotion. With this album, it's just harder to find. I consider Still Life to be their emotional apex, with Deliverance just behind it.

A lot of people are going to regard this album as being cold, because it doesn't tell you where to feel which emotion. Just like a good movie, this album stirs up feeling without having to tell the listener to be stirred.

glad you like the site!! :)

well yeah I could make the rightside updates clickable. But then I have to figure out a way for it to open both the review frames (review list and the review in question)...and I don't know how to do that :( I'll look into it...

I agree with Static. Strokes, Hives, Datsuns, some of the worst music I've ever heard in nearly every conceivable way.

I don't agree.
I think they're all okey and a hella' lot better than britney, a-teens and the other mtv artists.

Originally posted by Scytheman
glad you like the site!! :)

well yeah I could make the rightside updates clickable. But then I have to figure out a way for it to open both the review frames (review list and the review in question)...and I don't know how to do that :( I'll look into it...
ahh..I don't think you can..it's really not that big of a deal I was just being anal. The review section is easy enough to find :)