circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Nachtmystium – Eulogy IV
Southern Lord Recordings – sunn42.5 – 2004
By Jason Jordan

nach.jpg

Hailing from the frostbitten tundra of Wheaton, Illinois, Nachtmystium come barreling in with their cluttered version of black metal in Eulogy IV. Southern Lord kindly licensed this from Battle Kommand Records, and is offering the EP to 1000 lucky folks who like their metal cold and dank.

These five-year veterans, though Azentrius is the main force behind Nachtmystium, know how to properly structure songs while importing the requisite, black elements. Truth be told, songs like “Bleed for Thee” and “The Wound Which Cannot Heal” aren’t too different from what the rest of the pack has done beforehand, but the aforementioned definitely transcend much of the black metal being spewed forth these days. Maybe it’s the band’s ability to cast trances at whim, or the general “feel” of the music. Either way, Eulogy IV is a solid manifestation of black metal done the U.S. way, but lamentably it’s a land that only boasts a handful of brilliant BM groups (Leviathan, Weakling, and arguably Xasthur). Toss in covers of Earth, Burzum, and Von (the first doubles as a live track as well), relay two live songs, and mention the limitedness of the whole package, and the consumer leaves with a sizeable EP. Number 0577 is taken, and I wouldn’t be flabbergasted if Nachtmystium’s latest flew off the shelves rather quickly.

Eulogy IV is a good investment for black metal fans, especially if said fans like to intake BM of a U.S. variety. This isn’t the best EP I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to, but it’s worthwhile in the end. I guess the only thing left to do is visit these guys sometime; I live five hours away from them.

7.5/10

Official Southern Lord Recordings Website