Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Nachtmystium - Nachtmystium
Battle Kommand Records – BKR007 – November 22, 2005
By Rodrigo Escandon

Nachtmystium_self_titled_cover_art.jpg

Nachtmystium is a band that has begun to garner more attention lately, thanks in part to Azentrius’s involvement with Twilight. But his participation in that project shouldn’t belittle the fact that the band has released some great stuff, mainly their third full-length release Demise. However, I have always found it odd that Nachtmystium doesn’t get discussed as often as other USBM bands such as Xasthur or Leviathan. While Nachtymstium may not be as established as the two aforementioned bands they still garner your attention and thanks to Battle Kommand Records we now have the opportunity to hear this EP, originally released in 2002, and explore the beginnings of this band.

This EP includes five original compositions and one Judas Isacriot cover “Gaze Upon Heaven in Flames”, which fits very nicely with the rest of the songs. Incidentally Akhenanten produced this release and no doubt his involvement helped Nachtmystium reach higher levels. His production is actually pretty clear and I enjoy the fuzzy guitars having some “bite” to them. Zmijj’s piercing singing enhances the overall sound and the strong drumming completes the package.

The five songs can be divided into two groups. The first group includes “The Glorious Moment” and “The Call of the Ancient” (a re-recording from the band’s first album). These two songs showcase a slower tempo that creates a majestic but frosty atmosphere. Both build momentum through these slower areas as the songs move on towards their furious endings.

The second group includes the remaining three songs “Cold Tormentor (I’ve Become)”, “Come Forth, Devastation” and “Embrace Red Horizon”. These three are shorter in length and all have a faster pace but are less memorable than the other two songs. “Cold Tormentor (I’ve Become)” has a slithery opening riff and as a whole it reminds me of latter day Darkthrone. “Come Forth, Devastation” actually sounds almost alike to the previous song but an incredible guitar solo towards the end manages to differentiate it. “Embrace Red Horizon” reminds me of the faster sections of “The Glorious Moment” and “The Call of the Ancient” because it has the same epic and melodic feel.

This EP is definitely enjoyable and a solid listen but I wonder if it’s a “must-buy”. If you want to hear the early phase of Nachtmystium or you want to own all the band’s releases then this EP is definitely for you. For the rest I would recommend you instead get Demise because that is where Nachtmystium truly shines.

6.5/10

Battle Kommand Records and Nachtmystium Official Website

This is the first effort of the band I've heard and it's great. More Norse than Norway...

A lot more energetic than boring droning stuff like a lot of other USBM bands do...

I like Nachtmystium a lot. "Eulogy IV" was pretty good, but this is even better. Anticipating the other re-releases!

:hotjump: