11. Blows To The Body
12. The Great Capitulator
Label: Spitfire Records
Release date: 2002
Artist site:
http://www.enemyofthemusicbusiness.com/
GRADE:
8.5/10

Call it a sign of the times, but NAPALM DEATH's latest, Order Of The Leech is the perfect soundtrack to all that is fucked up in the world at the moment. The ferocious intensity with which they release their anger is devastating to say the least.

"Continuing War On Stupidity" is one of the best album openers I have heard in a long time, very heavy, in your face. Greenway's lyrical tirade against Thatcher, Reagan and Bush is venomous. Gotta love the breakdown that pays homage to CELTIC FROST's "Procreation Of The Wicked!"

"The Icing On The Hate" follows up with its blasting inferno of grinding dissonance. "Narcoleptic" has a very Utopia Banished feel about it, bringing to mind the good 'ol days. I am often reminded of that record when listening to Order of The Leech, sort of a blend between that and Enemy Of The Music Business, especially when considering the production values.

"Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind" employs a melodic discordant riff somewhat similar to material found on Fear, Emptiness, Despair, one of my favorite ND releases. The oppressive nature of the guitars on that album still give me chills, so I am happy to see that similar approach being used here. Mitch Harris and Jesse Pintado seem to have found that perfect blend of NAPALM/LOCKUP/MEATHOOK SEED and have used it to the absolute best of their capabilities.

I am particularly impressed with Greenway's vocals this time out, as he seems genuinely more angry than he's been in a long time and it comes across very well on the new material. Listen to his performance on "To Lower Yourself" if you dare doubt me. Also, check out the fine grind to be found on "Farce And Fiction," the godfathers still deliver folks! In fact, drummer Danny Herrera really proves that he's still very relevant to the genre and should silence the doubts with some of the fatest drumming I have heard from him in years.

It's always encouraging to see veterans such as NAPALM DEATH deliver a release that lays waste to a large portion of what's out there. Showing their younger peers how it's done, as it should be.

PJ