Neal's Faith

|ngenius

Little Grasshopper
Nov 16, 2001
Barcelona
Visit site
Neal Morse is a very, very, so, very (did I say "very"?) talented musician, producer, song writer, keyboardist and guitar player who plays... sorry, played in Spock's Beard, a pretty known progressive band linked in some ways to bands like Dream Theater, Marillion or The Flower Kings. I know many of you don't know Neal that well, since Spock's Beard is a band so different from Dark Tranquillity, and you're (probably) not into progressive music at all. Anyway, I am not going to talk about progressive, this thread is not about the band itself.

Neal has released so many albums and collaborations, with Spock's Beard, two solo albums, two albums with his side project and amazing band Transatlantic (with more personal idols involved, like Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt and so on), and an extensive production and work widely appreciated by the critics.

Well, Miolo told me today that Neal has quit the band. I asked: "Why?". And he addressed me to this link, where Neal's reasons are exposed, so judge yourself:

http://www.spocksbeard.com/neal.html

And I repeat here what I asked to Miolo: "Even assuming that the Christian God exists (if you believe, I won't be the one to deny your belief), is he that... bored?!" Because what the fuck is going on in Neal's head? Is God starting a plan to command every movement he does? Read carefully the part where Neal is running and God tell him to stop and change his way. It is absurd!!! :yuk:

|ng (Spock's Beardish...) :cry:

the guy must have been sucked into one of those disgusting cults, like scientology. either that or he has the brains of a 7-y-o, which would suggest that talent/creativity and intelligence do not have that much in common.

rahvin.

Neal Morse said:
I know this may sound bizarre, but I felt like a host of angels were cheering! Then the Lord said "here's what I want you to do, finish this album (SNOW), QUIT THE BAND and await further instructions."
he suddenly became an idiot.

that's the only explanation i can find to these words. the whole thing is just ridiculous and all i have to say is that it's a pity that such a talented artist left all his creations in this way.

Miolo :)waah: )

yeah, i think he went on a cult tangent too. what strikes me is that he didn't even mention how come god wanted him to quit the band. this is kind of weird because you have to pick one stance of the following: either you think your own religious experience is private, and then you say "i'm quitting the band for personal reasons" and don't go around mentioning god all the time, or you say "i discovered this aspect of conflict between my religion and my musical activity", and then you explained it. but this sounds "disgusting cult" (well said, rahvin) enough. :)

Think hyena got the point. It was a long and absurd story to publish. And it is strange. Anyway, I've sent a letter to his brother, Alan Morse (also playing guitars in Spock's Beard), just to ask him about that unbelievable reaction on Neal's faith.

@Salamy, Mousewings: Let me help you. Read the lines below, and this time do it carefully. :p :loco:

|ngenius said:
Neal Morse is a very, very, so, very (did I say "very"?) talented musician, producer, song writer, keyboardist and guitar player who plays... sorry, played in Spock's Beard, a pretty known progressive band linked in some ways to bands like Dream Theater, Marillion or The Flower Kings. I know many of you don't know Neal that well, since Spock's Beard is a band so different from Dark Tranquillity, and you're (probably) not into progressive music at all. Anyway, I am not going to talk about progressive, this thread is not about the band itself.

Neal has released so many albums and collaborations, with Spock's Beard, two solo albums, two albums with his side project and amazing band Transatlantic (with more personal idols involved, like Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt and so on), and an extensive production and work widely appreciated by the critics.

Well, Miolo told me today that Neal has quit the band. I asked: "Why?". And he addressed me to this link, where Neal's reasons are exposed, so judge yourself:

http://www.spocksbeard.com/neal.html

And I repeat here what I asked to Miolo: "Even assuming that the Christian God exists (if you believe, I won't be the one to deny your belief), is he that... bored?!" Because what the fuck is going on in Neal's head? Is God starting a plan to command every movement he does? Read carefully the part where Neal is running and God tell him to stop and change his way. It is absurd!!! :yuk:

|ng (Spock's Beardish...) :cry:

|ngenius (Kidding)

I've just received a short reply to my e-mail. Here it is:

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Dani,

Yeah, it's a bummer about Neal. But we are forging ahead! Look forward
to some amazing stuff around Summer time. I tried to talk him out of
it, but all we can do now is move on. Hope to see you in Spain, maybe
this fall. Stay tuned...

Alan Morse

----------------------------------------------------

You did not expected a clinic analysis, did you? ;) I am a stranger, after all. Well, that's it.

|ngenius (A perfect head to be tuned) :)