Need a kick sample

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

So I've got a fairly large sample library that I pull out from time to time to use on records that don't have great recorded kicks. There is one particular type of sound that I don't have and it craps me off big time.

I need a kick similar to Gojira's 'The Way of All Flesh'. Something extremely tight with a defined but not too ticky attack, and a lot of very tight sub low energy. Basically a great 'typewriter' style kick.

Can any of you point me in the right direction?

I would commonly try to manipulate some of the Slate samples into this, but their sub low energy tends to be all over the place, since they're mostly for rock music.

Cheers.

Ermz, try sidechaining a gate on a signal gen track. Use the kick to sidechain the gate open on like, a 40Hz tone. Mix that to taste under maybe a slate kick with all the lows taken out. That should give you a very tight and consistent low end, with a Slate click.

I speak from thoughts, not from experience. I've seen this done, never actually done it, so I don't know if it's truly what you're after.

Are those actually ripped from CDs or what? In that case, there's gonna be some copyright issues to use them on one's own projects? :)

nope, it doesn't work like that. those clips are far too short for there to be any issues

Hey guys,
I need a kick similar to Gojira's 'The Way of All Flesh'. Something extremely tight with a defined but not too ticky attack

Basically you wana get the song Terrorize off the Cavalera Conspiracy album. Very similar kick sound to Gojira - another Logan mix of course.

First thing you hear in the song is the kick. You're able to sample it before anything else comes in over it

I also got that Machine Head kick myself ha. Track 2 of Ashes innit?

Are those actually ripped from CDs or what? In that case, there's gonna be some copyright issues to use them on one's own projects? :)

I'd never use a metallica sample in that case.
LARS-ULRICH1.jpg

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought it was very forbidden to do that :p

So .. don't wanna take this thread into a discussion about copyright but, what is the limit? Can I chop some short sections out of other songs and use them in mine as sound effects or what? A kick is like .5 - 1 second so is there a limit that says "well you can go ahead and rip x seconds, no problem"? :O

I wish our favorite producers just released their own sample pack... or maybe they already did? :D I'd pay some serious cash for some of Gojira's drum sounds and ... well quite a few other bands too really :)

So .. don't wanna take this thread into a discussion about copyright but, what is the limit? Can I chop some short sections out of other songs and use them in mine as sound effects or what? A kick is like .5 - 1 second so is there a limit that says "well you can go ahead and rip x seconds, no problem"? :O

How long the sample is has nothing to do with it. The man issue is that if the sample you are using can be recognized from some other recorded audio track. A sample of a chord progression or a melody from another audio track is easily recognizable, but drum samples however are not quite so. Rappers and DJ's use other peoples drum samples in their own music and rarely face lawsuits, and under the circumstance that they do face a lawsuit, it is usually beacuse they took a recognizable chord progression or melody from another recording.

So if you are using a sample you are worried about, i would suggest you eq, time stretch, phase invert, distort, and blend with other samples. doing that with your samples will make it at least look different from the original so the samples can not be compared visually. besides, manipulating samples gives the mix your own touch, so use samples in creative ways.