need a new pda/cell phone

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
ok, so i have to go phone shopping today ... my existing contract with Verizon was up yesterday and been using a 3 year old LG phone on it.

need to step up to a PDA type and switching to ATT/CINGULAR for service.

my needs in order are a. phone b.emai c.text

right now leanign towards the Samsung Blackjack ... was looking at Blackberry's also

anyone care to chime in with real world experiences and some tips on what's good ... danke!

I've had no problems with this phone and I've been using it for aeons.

anguilla-payphone.jpg

looks like it says Anguilla

Jerry's already retired to the islands. :loco:

Lurch - why are you switching away from Verizon? I was thinking of switching from Sprint over to Verizon just because it's supposed to have great coverage in the NE.

I have a phone. 2 year contract, I pay the equivalent of 7 US "dollars" a month. It rings, and I get 10 free weekend minutes a month (to landlines). Works for me, cheapest deal out there and I'm happy with it.

Lurch - why are you switching away from Verizon? I was thinking of switching from Sprint over to Verizon just because it's supposed to have great coverage in the NE.

Verizon is great, have not had problems with them ... EVER. However, their system is not GSM so its US only ...
Planning to do quite a bit of travelling in the next few years so would like a phone I can swap out sim cards on. Also most of the people I know are on ATT/Cingular.

Zod talked me into the Blackberry Pearl, and I'm very glad he did. Worldwide coverage capability, great internet browser and the ability to receive personal email from a bunch of different personal email accounts make this one a winner. It uses a little roller ball mouse and isn't nearly as wide as many of the other Blackberries available.

I got mine new for $99 the week after the Iphone came out with rebates. A steal.

Jason

I own the Blackberry Pearl. My only complaint with it, is that the internet browsing is tough, because of the width of the screen. However, you can get the Pearl, with a wider screen.

Hmmm.... I haven't had too many problems browsing (with the exception of UM, which can be a pain logging in and navigating threads). I actually dig the smaller screen because I love to carry my cell phone in my pocket and it's the easiest Blackberry to do just that with.

Hmmm.... I haven't had too many problems browsing (with the exception of UM, which can be a pain logging in and navigating threads). I actually dig the smaller screen because I love to carry my cell phone in my pocket and it's the easiest Blackberry to do just that with.
Yeah... UM is impossible, with all the graphics spread all over.

The size is perfect. However, there's always going to be trade offs. I think I like the idea of having the true PC interface that the iPhone offers, as well as having my MP3 player and cell phone in one device. And once that thing integrates a navigation system... sold.

Zod

While it isn't perfect, my solution has been to log in first and make sure that you have signatures turned off (if you don't log in signatures automatically appear). It's still a pain to navigate due to everyone's avatars, but not nearly to the same degree - only when there are threads with a bunch of pictures in them.

GZ said:
The size is perfect. However, there's always going to be trade offs. I think I like the idea of having the true PC interface that the iPhone offers, as well as having my MP3 player and cell phone in one device. And once that thing integrates a navigation system... sold.

Yeah, if you recall I almost went with the iPhone before getting the Pearl because I loved the idea of an iPod and phone together, but the price was ridiculous and as you indicated, version 1.0 should never be on anyone's buy list when you know it will continuously be upgraded and refined.

I'm sure at some point when supply catches up with demand and the inevitable price slash hits I'll end up doing the same.

ok, so i came from the cell phone peddlar and did not get anything yet, except a headache and more confusion.

Greg, Jason ... so you guys pay an extra $40 a month for the "PDA media" plan? ... internet, email etc. on the Blackberry?

the phone mister told me its a MUST on the Blackberry but on the Treo's and Blackjack you can get away with a much cheaper $20 media plan

btw ... now i'm between the Blackberry 8310 and the Palm Treo 680

Blackjack seems to be out of the race ...

Do what I did, walk into Verizon and say "I need a phone that is... you know, just a phone."

They gave me one of these:

lg-vx5300.jpg

It has a camera but it takes really shitty pictures so I suppose I'm somewhat okay with it.

I had a ButtBerry at my last job, I can't imagine anyone willingly paying to be tied to the office.

But then again you own your own business so maybe you care or something. :loco:

Greg, Jason ... so you guys pay an extra $40 a month for the "PDA media" plan? ... internet, email etc. on the Blackberry?
Yes.

btw ... now i'm between the Blackberry 8310 and the Palm Treo 680
Check CNET.com for full reviews and commentary from people who own both phones.

Blackjack seems to be out of the race ...
It should be. Its battery life is a joke. It's so bad (I think two hours) that they actually started shipping it with two batteries.

Zod

yeah, so I picked up a Blackberry 8310 Curve ... love it so far!

download the Opera Mini Browser ... works a lot better than the built in Blackberry one.