Need help for School talent show!

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Alright, the time is comming for school talent show, and Im trying to throw together the best 10 minute set possible. Now finding the right combo is tough, as Drums, Keys, and Bass are the major strongpoints, Guitar and vocals are a bit shaky, a few possibilities and some leeway with.

We're all proficient, sans vox (we have no one lined up behind the mic, we wanna do instrumentals preferably).

What are some tunes you could reccomend?

So far songs like DT - Erotomania, Liquid Tension Exp- Biaxident etc are being thrown around the most, Im pushing for OPeth - Ghost of Perdition if we can find someone who can sing Mikaels cleans, or Rush - La Villa Strangiato, if I can handle Neil Peart (Possibly?)

Other songs thrown around:
Mike Terrana - More Coffee
Stratovarius - Stratosphere, Stratofortress
Rush - 2112, YYZ, La Villa
Pantera - Art of Shredding (No keys though)
Symphony X - Egypt
Andromeda - Chameleon Carneval

Come on, Help me pick something sick that will floor students and faculty alike!

Jurakan said:
How about Dream Theater's Stream of Consciousness?
Too long.

Same with 2112. Its appx 10 minutes long we have, a little less maybe.

The best combo i've put together so far was:
Devin Townsend - Vampolka (Fun intro, ease nerves, get the crowd into it)
Stratovarius- Stratofortress, then closing with Stratosphere.

Cmon man, do La Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drums are tight as hell.

If not, then I totally support Biaxident. When the Water Breaks is probably too long...

Can your guitarist pull off Stratofortress?

urinalcakemix said:
Too long.

Same with 2112. Its appx 10 minutes long we have, a little less maybe.

The best combo i've put together so far was:
Devin Townsend - Vampolka (Fun intro, ease nerves, get the crowd into it)
Stratovarius- Stratofortress, then closing with Stratosphere.

That sound good to me.

Wish a band had played songs like this at my school. Only thing played at my school by an actual band, was old rock and country songs.

urinalcakemix said:
Alright, the time is comming for school talent show, and Im trying to throw together the best 10 minute set possible. Now finding the right combo is tough, as Drums, Keys, and Bass are the major strongpoints, Guitar and vocals are a bit shaky, a few possibilities and some leeway with.

We're all proficient, sans vox (we have no one lined up behind the mic, we wanna do instrumentals preferably).

What are some tunes you could reccomend?

Well I would try to transpose somrthing like Metallica's Orion to use one guitar and keys. Since this is going to be for your school, you may stand a chance of more students knowing the Metallica stuff than those other bands you mentioned and hey we all love Metallica pre-Black era ?

Bryant

Curufin said:
Europe - The Final Countdown

Hahaha. No.

Bryant said:
Well I would try to transpose somrthing like Metallica's Orion to use one guitar and keys. Since this is going to be for your school, you may stand a chance of more students knowing the Metallica stuff than those other bands you mentioned and hey we all love Metallica pre-Black era ?

Bryant
Well- true that more people would recognize Metallica, but unfortunately, none of us really bother ackowledging Metallica at all these days.

rockyracoon said:
Cmon man, do La Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drums are tight as hell.

If not, then I totally support Biaxident. When the Water Breaks is probably too long...

Can your guitarist pull off Stratofortress?
At absolute worst case, both strato instrumentals are VERY key driven, and don't rely on guitar- really, we could easily get away with straight keys, and have guitar player play rhythm, and in Stratosphere - have him break out with that Melodic 80's lead section in the 1:40 range.

I think he'll be able to handle most of the parts, he thinks Yngwie is god, and tries to emulate him, and does pretty well at it from what I see, so I think a shred-fest like these 2 will be up his alley.

When the Water Breaks.. Amazing song, too long, and theres no way in hell we could pull off those changes without bastardizing that song.

I'd love to do La Villa- its a classic, not sure how it'll work out.

Does anyone have any other ideas that HAVEN'T been mentioned so far? I appreciate all the feedback, keep it comming! I love you all.

OH yea, I DO plan on recording both audio/video for this performance, in case anyone has a curious mind

if you're looking for a good key/bass/drums i think either Symphony X or Dream Theater would be perfect. however...the guitarist and vocalist must be able to hold their spot.

oh, and a piece of advice. first time i played infront of more than 50 people was when i did my schools talent show last year...and all our equipment fucked up not more than 10 seconds into the song. someone messed with all the setting and it all went to shit. dont be afraid to stop it and take a few minutes to fix it...we made the mistake of not stopping, and well it sure didn't fix itself.

No-Mercy said:
if you're looking for a good key/bass/drums i think either Symphony X or Dream Theater would be perfect. however...the guitarist and vocalist must be able to hold their spot.

oh, and a piece of advice. first time i played infront of more than 50 people was when i did my schools talent show last year...and all our equipment fucked up not more than 10 seconds into the song. someone messed with all the setting and it all went to shit. dont be afraid to stop it and take a few minutes to fix it...we made the mistake of not stopping, and well it sure didn't fix itself.
Thanks for the tip off. I'll keep it in mind.

Thats the thing about SX and DT, finding a vocalist who doesnt completely bastardize the vocals. Im very against ruining great songs.

heh, I didn't like good music till my senior year of high school...
so my junior year, my friends and I played set consisting of Korn's Blind, Staind's Mudshovel, some Metallica song, and Slipknot's Wait and Bleed

=) it was kind of funny

good luck with whatever you pick, make sure to post the video

urinalcakemix said:
At absolute worst case, both strato instrumentals are VERY key driven, and don't rely on guitar- really, we could easily get away with straight keys, and have guitar player play rhythm, and in Stratosphere - have him break out with that Melodic 80's lead section in the 1:40 range.

Hmm, I wouldn't say their very key driven. Stratosphere - the guitar is the dominant part and is the only thing that makes the song good.

I can see it more on Stratofortress, but still - both songs would sound best with guitars and keys both doing leads. That's the whole point of song! :headbang:

Doesn't Stride do a few instrumental pieces that stress your strengths and eliminate the shakey vox problem?

Magius said:
Doesn't Stride do a few instrumental pieces that stress your strengths and eliminate the shakey vox problem?
They do, but I think it'd be a bit more difficult learning them, as tabs/notetation/guides would be a bit harder to find for them, than say a national act like STrato, at least thats what I'm getting back.

I threw Endeavor out there- to no avail.

You could try for 'Rainbow in the Dark'

or go a Maiden route with... well any of their wonderful songs.

I would go with Dream Theatre - Peruvian Skies.

And if you could pull off awesome vocals... anything from Blind Guardian's Nightfalls on Middle Earth >_>