Need help identifying noise (Guitar)

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
Hi guys!

The noise (amplified with limiters): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105053690/Noise.mp3

This has been driving me crazy lately. I've been playing through a small practice amp in my living room for a while now, and a few weeks ago this weird noise started to haunt me. At first I thought it was electrical interference because the amp was ungrounded, but when I tried to record today in another room on another system (DI) with different cables and a different guitar the noise is still there. It becomes louder when the guitar is laying flat on it's back or stomach, but is always present.

I live in a house, on a field, in the middle of Sweden. I've gone through everything, wireless and cell phones, routers, timers, switches, lamps, TVs etc but nothing makes it go away. Nobody can recall bringing something new into the house either. Please help me and I'll be forever in your debt!

// Backe

sounds like electric sparks to me... maybe damaged contact

I've tried different cables, different guitars, different power outlets. I don't see what could be damaged.

Edit: Different amps also. Well, one is a soundcard for DI recording powered by USB, the other one's my practice amp.

Solved it!

We just got one of those automatic lawnmowers. Since they're automatic and wireless and everything they emit very strong radio waves which then interacts with this sort of cable in the ground telling it where it can and can't go. The mystery is solved, but the problem remains. That fucking mower costs about as much as two 6505 heads, so I can't exactly justify throwing it away. Fuck...

can't you simply switch it off when you are recording? ...I mean the lawnmower isn't running permanently is it?

How do you just forget about that? :lol:

Well, first of all, it's outside and I didn't think it'd have much of an impact. And I forgot about it because yeah... it's silent, automatic etc. Just makes your lawn look great without asking anything in return.

It's the electrical grid that's set up around my house that's making all the noise. And if I unplug it an alarm goes off because the mower knows about it. Great if something breaks or if someone's trying to steal it. It's set to run between 8 am and 9 pm mondays, wednesdays, fridays and sundays. I don't want it running during the night because it might set my neighbours off (and they're super jealous and pissed already). So I'm free to rock within my given timeframe I guess! :headbang:

So I'm free to rock within my given timeframe I guess! :headbang:

or you could just..

___________foil-room-1.jpg