Need some advise...

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Happy holidays to everyone

So I need some words of advise/encouragement if possible.

I've always been a one man studio. I produce small local acts in my little tiny basement studio with minimal gear getting pretty good results (i think i least)

So this band I produced a while back, the drummer's dad owns a pretty legit recording studio, which is where they recorded their first EP before coming to me. Unfortunately the results they got from there were not the greatest quality and they were disappointed. So when they heard the single I did for them they were 100% set on coming back to recording their new album with me.

Unfortunately they ran into some issues within the band and long story short the drummer's dad is in a position to help them but his only request was that they record their album in his studio.They, however, were still 100% set on having me produce/engineer it. All this back and forth finally ended with me now coming to this studio to record them.

So this is technically my first real gig and I'm pretty freaking nervous (actually i'm shitting my pants) because I've never worked with half the gear they have at this place so I feel like I'm in over my head.

The first problem is that they work with protools and logic and I'm a hardcore Reaper user. I've tried Protools before but not nearly enough to say I know it and I've never even opened logic.

The second problem is that I honestly don't know what to do with all the gear they have, i do everything "in the box" I think the only reason I get decent results its cause I know what i have and its limitations, I have no idea what I'm gonna do with all the stuff they have.

So i guess along with some words of encouragement I was hoping that if I post the gear list here you guys can help me out figuring out what would be good for which part of the recording.

Gear
Soundcraft Ghost 24 LE Recording /
Mixing Console
Audient ASP008 - 8 channel variable
impedance mic pre
Teac A-6010 2-Track Reel-to-Reel Tape Deck
Motu 24 I/O Interface
Manley VOXBOX Tube channel strip with
Mic Pre, Pultec EQ, Opto-Compressor,
De-esser
API 3124+ 4-channel pre-amp

Mics
Neumann U-87 AI Condenser Microphones
Neumann BCM 705 Dynamic Microphone
Sennheiser MD 421-II Microphones
Audio-Technica AT4050 Condenser Microphones
Carvin CM 68 Dynamic Microphones
Shure SM-57 Microphone
Set of Rode NT5 Stereo Condenser Microphones
Audix D6 Dynamic Bass Drum Microphone
Royer R121 Dynamic Ribbon Microphone

I've only ever read about or heard online samples of most of the gear here. Hope I can get some feedback from here. This community has always come through for me.

Thanks again guys

Don't overthink it. Bring in your own setup and do your thing. You can incorporate the studio's nice mics/pres/etc. into your normal workflow. Keep it familiar and comfortable.

Ask the dad for an assistant engineer that knows the place. The AE should know the room and all the technical signal flow stuff. As producer/head engineer of the session, it's your job to get the sounds that you and the band want. Let the assistant plug it up and get levels. If dad's studio doesn't have any assistants, ask to come in during off-hours so you can familiarize yourself with the setup and room and ask about any quirks the place might have. Also, watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials for Pro Tools to help get you up to speed with the basics.

Youtube the DAWs. I prefer Logic over PT, but currently using Studio One because I honestly can't stand OS X (plugin compatibility issues). I would have to save Logic is more user friendly for someone coming from Reaper. Honestly I would just worry about tracking everything. You can mix anywhere.

If your running the show couldn't you direct the studio owner what you want him do do?

I'm guessing so my only requests to the band was that A) I get to do things my way B) I get full credit as producer/engineer. So we'll see how it goes.

Your studio is better. End of story.

haha, I'm guessing you are not fond of this particular console.

Ask the dad for an assistant engineer that knows the place. The AE should know the room and all the technical signal flow stuff. As producer/head engineer of the session, it's your job to get the sounds that you and the band want. Let the assistant plug it up and get levels. If dad's studio doesn't have any assistants, ask to come in during off-hours so you can familiarize yourself with the setup and room and ask about any quirks the place might have. Also, watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials for Pro Tools to help get you up to speed with the basics.

I will keep the AE idea in mind thank you! I'm borrowing my friends laptop for the weekend so I try and record a demo of my own in protools. that way I can see if its even worth trying to learn it before we start tracking.

Don't overthink it. Bring in your own setup and do your thing. You can incorporate the studio's nice mics/pres/etc. into your normal workflow. Keep it familiar and comfortable.

Thank you. that thought also crossed my mind. Maybe just bring in my tower and plug in to their console/interface. I just don't know the drivers that would be needed and any other things I may need to install.

I just remember in my college days, we had Soundcraft Ghost's to mix on, and they were cloudy 'orrible messes to work with. ITB sounds way better. All the other stuff sounds amazing though, particularly the microphones. I'd be tempted to take my own computer+interface into the place and plug in that way. Your own DAW. Your own mic-pre's, which you can augment with some of theirs, and totally rinse their microphone collection.

Had a similar thing a few months ago and ended up bringing my own rig and integrating it into what the studio had. Reaper would be easy to setup in any studio and the minimal disk space wouldn't cause any issues. Bring your own hard disk to back everything up to and you're golden.

Your studio is better. End of story.

Oh come on, I have tracked PLENTy of records on a Sountracks Ghost, its no Neve or SSL, but its by far better then anything Prosumer .....

Come on Drew...lol

That being said. Find an AE that knows how to run the studio. Thats the key, if you are there to Produce, then Produce. When all is said and done, get the tracks in your preferred format and go mix at home.

Had a similar thing a few months ago and ended up bringing my own rig and integrating it into what the studio had. Reaper would be easy to setup in any studio and the minimal disk space wouldn't cause any issues. Bring your own hard disk to back everything up to and you're golden.

Went to look at the studio and seems like the best option is going to be bringing in my computer and hooking up to their set up. The problem is that the interface they are currently trying to use is an ORION Antalope 32 and it seems to be USB. Is that really going to work? Usb in my experience is really unreliable.

I'm guessing thats what the big mixing board is hooked up to.

Find an AE that knows how to run the studio. Thats the key, if you are there to Produce, then Produce. When all is said and done, get the tracks in your preferred format and go mix at home.

Seems like the in house engineer is being kept in the dark on the fact that we are recording there because he wanted this project. lol so that's out of the question *facepalm*

The Orion is meant to be a really good interface - it's not a cheap prosumer one either.

At any rate just jump right in for the experience, carry over as much of your workflow as you can because it will make your life easier and don't be afraid of asking for help with anything to do with routing - if help isn't available then budget some of your timeframe for problem solving - if I'm working somewhere new I try and always give myself an extra day of leverage to iron out any 'quirks' I might find.

Good luck!

I would try bringing enough from your studio to make it feel comfortable and familiar. If you're running Reaper, run that on your computer. If you have any mics you love, take them with you etc.

It's not uncommon to have an in-house engineer doing the technical bits while you focus on producing, especially when working out of a larger facility, or one that you're not familiar with.

And yea, don't overthink things. Just because there is a board in the room, doesn't mean you have to mix on it. I've seen guys throw a ProControl on top of an SSL and mix almost-entirely ITB, sans a few pieces of outboard. They're working with you for your skills, so use them.

so quick update.

I went in last week to get a first look around the studio. I brought in my tower to hook it up to their interface, etc. I got the interface running and I was even able to open and listen to one of my current project files on reaper. So everything was well up to that point.

The problem was that i don't know/understand their "plumbing" (as the studio owner put it) their patch bay is either not labelled correctly or I don't know what I'm doing (that's the more likely one)

I'm going in today for a second attempt but this time the studio owner is bringing in a separate engineer to give me a run through of everything. Hopefully after today I can work my way around the studio by myself.

Again thank you everyone for steering me in the right direction. It's very appreciated.

I'd like to give back somehow. Since this studio has all the nice gear and seems to be very drum friendly (lots of drum sets to choose from) I'll be posting all the drum samples I get from the kit I record, maybe you guys can find use for them.

I'd be pretty uneasy using their converters on your PC but, if that works, then go for it. I also wouldn't fuck around with any outboard. Just track everything then nick off and mix it on your gear. The father will probably bitch but he's just jelly you're showing him up.