Need some input for my Studio

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Hi guys I'm in a crossroad with we're I can take my passion for music eng/production. I'll make it short, and to the point.
I had a studio out of my house and it went well, made money but sucked cause i use two small bed rooms to track and mix out off. So I meet a guy that's starting off with his studio and needed gear for his studio building. Mind you it's under 600 Sqf but it's better then what I had. So we joined forces he was the owner and I'm a contracture. We went with 60/40% on bands me the 60. But he also has a employee that works with him. With the other guy I make no profit but they still use my gear. So making money off my stuff. A few of my friends and family said I'm selling my self short and that I should get a % of the other guys work. So I told him about me getting a cut of 10% or going 70/30% now he's crying saying that I'm taking advantage of him and I'm not a man of my word etc and if i leave it will hold the studio back for months cause all they have is a 003 factory and two mics before i came over.. mind you there's more to this but I'm making it short. So do I go back home and work out of there or stay with this guy?? I was thinking of opening my own studio space..
Thanks

i guess you are making much less of the situation... because i have been in a similar position however i was in the other guy's shoes.

-are you the main engineer? or do you just own the majority of the equipment?
-did the two of you have any disbanding agreements? (amicable reconciliation)
-are you raising your percentage simply just because you can?
-where are your clients coming from... his networking or yours?

i know you kept it short and i can dig it... but i don't want to say "just leave!" because i was in a particular situation where i had very little equipment but tons of clients and eventually met up with an "investor" (who shall forever remain nameless) ...basically, i was the only person "working" and he was just collecting from his return on equipment way past his primary capital investment.

needless to say, i stood my ground - there was a court case and i won by a landslide because the agreement was staunchly reliant on my abilities rather than his bill of materials. (just because you provide materials in a bid or contract doesn't entitle you to more compensation... if anything you would be considered "work for hire" and the contract would be settled between the engineer and clients).

also, because he has provided equipment space the other person is technically the legal owner of all the materials unless you have contracted otherwise or stipulated a business partnership.

typically i would concur with seth... but for this type of thing i would mainly weigh all the complexities of the situation... you could potentially be taking food off other people's table just because your friends and family feel you are entitled to it.

asking for more money will hardly ever solve the problem as i am sure the space costs money to "own" therefore it would make more sense that he receive more compensation for facility maintenance. the correct solution in this situation (almost always) is to charge the client more and chalk it up to new policy management or "cost of living" inflation.

like i said, i my opinion may be biased but i don't really know the entire situation.

Well we are working on a contract so I'll see where it goes. I'm really only staying cause the other engineer is my friend and if I leave it will screw him up bad. If not I will bury both the in the Mexican desert. Take the studio and drink cane soda....