Needing decent yet cheap 4 channels of preamps

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
I'm currently using a Delta 1010LT with two onboard preamps.......and I'm using an M-audio DMP3 on two other channels.

So, I got 4 other channels that have no preamps.......I don't wanna spend alot of money, but I don't want so shitty nady style preamp either.

Let's say I need to do this all with $300 or less......preferably less.:zombie:

I was considering like 2 Behringer T1953's.....but I'm not sure about that.......what do yall recommend?:kickass:

Try the SM Pro Audio PR4V, better than the Behringer units and only $80 from Same Day Music. At that price it will give you 4 useable channels and leave you with some cash to put toward something else (like more Jagermeister).

FWIW, I've been fucking around with the SMPro PR8 box. It's a single-space rack-mount 8-channel mic pre for under a hundred bucks - last I checked American Musical Supply had them brand-new for $99.

Stock it has the same op-amps as Behringer shit and a few extra capacitors which seem to have been left over from an initial design which would have offered a pre-gain control. They cheaped out and ditched the knob but left in the caps which really clamp down on the high end.

I removed the caps and then played around with the op-amps. With a Texas Instruments NE5532 it sounds really close to the pre in the Yamaha MG10/4 mixer I have laying around. With Burr Brown OPA2134 op-amps it actually sounds pretty clean and decent.

The mods can be found here (page 5 has a photo of what to change...):

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344&highlight=pr8

I posted some crappy samples of the 5532's before I got the Burr Brown chips. I'll make some new samples with maybe acoustic guitar and some 7-string grindy shit when I get a chance.