Negur Bunget - Mystical Transylvanian Black Metal (on tour now!)

skyrefuge

Feb 7, 2002
Suburban Chicago, USA
www.gregie.com
Currently on their first North American tour:

580030_10150893746044708_313793069707_9524766_655667401_n.jpg

399017_10150896263149708_313793069707_9529527_1004750790_n.jpg

When they announced this monster 33-date tour, I assumed there was at least a 50% chance the whole thing would crash-and-burn 10 days in. All of the venues are well downmarket from the standard Euro-touring band circuit, and even if 100% of the Negură Bunget fans in Halifax, NS or Albuquerque, NM turned out for the concert, that would still only be like 5 fans in attendance. I figured the band had no idea what they were getting into, and were sold down the river by some unscrupulous/overoptimistic booking agent/promoters. Six people in the band, driving more than 10,000 miles, to play for what could only be peanuts? Yikes.

But now, more than halfway through, it appears they knew exactly what they were getting into. It looks like their whole approach was to do a month-long Griswald Family Vacation through Canada and the US, seeing all the sights and wonders (Niagara Falls, giant sequoias, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc.), and as a bonus, they'd impress the fuck out of a few people in each town with their music, laying the groundwork for better numbers if they ever decide to come back.

There's something awesome about seeing people who make music as deep and otherworldly as this having fun seeing our country. Apparently Negură Bunget are people too! Their full tour/vacation gallery is here. I guess their music should have told me that they'd have a strong connection and interest in the wonders of the natural world, but I wasn't predicting the swan-dives into swimming pools.

But most importantly, their performance totally exceeded my expectations. Their sound on record is so distinct and specific, I figured there was little chance they would be able to generate the same sonic atmospheres in a live environment. Not least because they are essentially now a Negură Bunget cover band. Of the three who created their masterpiece 'Om' from 2006, only one, the drummer Negru (in the green hat) remains. Surely you can't just find random musicians on the streets of Romania who you can drop into such a band and have any hope of retaining the sound and spirit and soul. Or can you? Negru is either a master of finding talent, or Timişoara, Romania is filled with musicians born to play epic, earthy black metal. Not only was the sound a perfect reproduction, including the vocalist, but the presence and the spirit of the musicians was also right on as well, with various members playing the haunting wooden percussion or wooden pipes.

I was actually surprised that they were able to draw about 70 in Chicago on a Sunday night (including some Romanian transplants who knew how to chant "Negură Bunget" a lot better than I!) And tickets were only 12 fucking dollars. The band posted a glowing comment about that show on their Facebook page, which they've only done for a handful of other shows, so I'm guessing not all cities have been as good.

They're currently heading across the south from west to east, and then up the east coast. See 'em. This shit doesn't happen every day.

19/05/2012 - San Antonio, TX (USA) - Bonds 007 Rock Club
20/05/2012 - Houston, TX (USA) - White Swan Live
21/05/2012 - New Orleans, LA (USA) - Siberia
22/05/2012 - Tampa, FL (USA) - The Brass Mug
23/05/2012 - Atlanta, GA (USA) - The Masquerade
24/05/2012 - Charlotte, NC (USA) - Tremont
25/05/2012 - Baltimore, MD (USA) - Maryland Deathfest
26/05/2012 - Poughkeepsie, NY (USA) - The Loft
27/05/2012 - Worcester, MA (USA) - Ralphs Diner
28/05/2012 - Philadelphia, PA (USA) / Kung Fu Necktie
29/05/2012 - Pittsburgh, PA (USA) - The Royal Place
30/05/2012 - Columbus, OH (USA) - Kobo Live

I heard that they were getting paid really well on this tour. My mind is blown that promoters are willing to shell out over a grand per night for 'em.

Should be seeing 'em this Friday at MDF. One of the acts i am looking most forward to.

Damn it I need to see these guys live

But wft no Canadian dates?

Neil posted only the remaining dates on the tour... they already played a bunch of canadian dates, including some fairly unusual locations...

Transilvanian Legacy Tour 2012 - US & Canada
Negură Bunget / Eclipse Eternal / Wolven Ancestry / The Way of Purity / Din Brad
20/04/2012 - Brooklyn, NY (USA) - Cameo Gallery - www.cameony.com
21/04/2012 - Montreal, QC (CAN) - The Katacombs - www.coopkatacombes.com
22/04/2012 - Quebec, QC (CAN) - L'Agitee - www.agitee.org
23/04/2012 - Halifax, NS (CAN) - Busstop Theatre - www.thebusstoptheatre.org
24/04/2012 - Montcon, NB (CAN) - The Manhattan - www.themanhattanbarandgrill.com
26/04/2012 - Ottawa, ON (CAN) - Maveriks - www.mavericksbar.com
27/04/2012 - Toronto, ON (CAN) - Hard Luck Bar - www.hardluckbar.com
29/04/2012 - Chicago, IL (USA) - Ultra Lounge - www.ultralounge.tumblr.com
30/04/2012 - St. Paul, MI (USA) - Station 4 - www.station-4.com
02/05/2012 - Calgary, AB (CAN) - The Distillery - www.distillerypub.com
03/05/2012 - Edmonton, AB (CAN) - The Pawn Shop - www.pawnshoplive.ca
05/05/2012 - Vancouver, BC (CAN) - Rickshaw Theatre - www.liveatrickshaw.com
06/05/2012 - Seattle, WA (USA) - El Corazon - www.elcorazonseattle.com
07/05/2012 - Portland, OR (USA) - Hawthorne Theatre - www.hawthornetheatre.com
08/05/2012 - San Francisco, CA (USA) - Thee Parkside - www.theeparkside.com
09/05/2012 - Whittier, CA (USA) - Moose Lodge - www.norwalkmoose.org
10/05/2012 - Las Vegas (AZ) - Boomers - www.myspace.com/boomerslv
11/05/2012 - Santa Ana, CA (USA) - Malone's - www.malonesbarandgrill.com
12/05/2012 - San Diego, CA (USA) - The Ruby Room - www.rubyroomsd.com
14/05/2012 - Scottsdale, AZ (USA) - Chaser's - www.chaserslive.net
16/05/2012 - Albuquerque, NM (USA) - Launchpad Rocks - www.launchpadrocks.com
18/05/2012 - Arlington, TX (USA) - The Ranch - www.myspace.com/theranch_dfwtx
19/05/2012 - San Antonio, TX (USA) - Bonds 007 Rock Bar - www.myspace.com/sa_bonds007
20/05/2012 - Houston, TX (USA) - Walter's - www.facebook.com/waltershouston
21/05/2012 - New Orleans, LA (USA) - Siberia - www.siberianola.com
22/05/2012 - Tampa, FL (USA) - The Brass Mug - www.myspace.com/brassmug
23/05/2012 - Atlanta, GA (USA) - The Masquerade - www.masqueradeatlanta.com
24/05/2012 - Charlotte, NC (USA) - Tremont Music Hall - www.tremontmusichall.com
25/05/2012 - Baltimore, MD (USA) - Maryland Deathfest - www.supremebrutality.com
26/05/2012 - Poughkeepsie, NY (USA) - The Loft - www.thechancetheater.com
27/05/2012 - Worcester, MA (USA) - Ralph's Diner - www.ralphsrockdiner.com
29/05/2012 - Pittsburgh, PA (USA) - The Royal Place - www.myspace.com/royalplacepgh
30/05/2012 - Columbus, OH (USA) - Kobo Live - www.kobolive.com

I am stoked to see Negura Bunget. But they are also playing at the same time at MDF as thrash band Artillery. It's a big toss-up, as both bands may or may not ever make it back to the States...but knowing now how good their show is on this tour, I'm gonna have to do Negura Bunget.

I heard that they were getting paid really well on this tour. My mind is blown that promoters are willing to shell out over a grand per night for 'em.

Huh, yeah, weird. But *something* unexpected must be going on for this whole thing to work, so I guess that could be it for whatever reason. Given the remaking of the band with a bunch of fairly young people, I also figured it could be that Negru formed this as a road-dog band, and used that to convince a label that they were worth a big long-term investment. Anyway, thanks, I was hoping you'd have a take on it, that was my main reason for posting here. :)

This intrigues me... I wish I knew about it more than 4 days before the show.

Yeah, sorry, I kept meaning to write this up sooner.

Just listened to the track posted above. I am going to this. Right up my alley.

Awesome!

Neil

Huh, yeah, weird. But *something* unexpected must be going on for this whole thing to work, so I guess that could be it for whatever reason. Given the remaking of the band with a bunch of fairly young people, I also figured it could be that Negru formed this as a road-dog band, and used that to convince a label that they were worth a big long-term investment. Anyway, thanks, I was hoping you'd have a take on it, that was my main reason for posting here. :)

Yeah, sorry, I kept meaning to write this up sooner.

Awesome!

Neil

Most likely scenario is that they decided to book around the MDF date they have scheduled.

My understanding is that the "Om" lineup is long gone and this is an entirely new lineup with the exception of the drummer who actually handles their management as well. I saw that in Europe they were doing some touring supporting bigger acts, so I think you're right on the money - that they have much larger goals than the average basement-level tr00 bm band, at least with this lineup and may even be interested in trying to turn NB into a career. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger label like Metal Blade or Century Media come into the picture either. I think it's possible, they're a really talented band and even though the old lineup isn't there I've heard that they kick ass live. Really excited to catch 'em!

Awesome show tonight. I can't believe I had never heard of this band or Eclipse Eternal four days ago. Both were phenomonal. Thanks for the head's up, Neil.

My understanding is that the "Om" lineup is long gone and this is an entirely new lineup with the exception of the drummer who actually handles their management as well. I saw that in Europe they were doing some touring supporting bigger acts, so I think you're right on the money - that they have much larger goals than the average basement-level tr00 bm band, at least with this lineup and may even be interested in trying to turn NB into a career. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger label like Metal Blade or Century Media come into the picture either. I think it's possible, they're a really talented band and even though the old lineup isn't there I've heard that they kick ass live. Really excited to catch 'em!
That's how I understand it as well. The new members are quite young. A couple of the guys who use to be in Negura have since went on and formed Dordeduh. They have a two song release out... really good stuff.