\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Nemesis – Eden?
Sensory - SR3015 - 2002
By Paddy Walsh

nemesis-eden.jpg

Oh hooray, another 'prog-metal' album from another bunch of sub-Dream Theater wannabes. Great. Is it just me or is the whole 'progressive-metal' tag becoming more ironic with every release? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 'progressive' suggest something fresh, experimental, and at least somewhat interesting? But more and more we see this sub-genre producing nothing other than bands with the exact same sound, as if the world somehow needed another Dream Theater clone.

You know the score. Lots of fast riffs (although the weak production on Eden? doesn't help things at all) overlaid with countless guitar and keyboard solos. Not the slightest hint of originality crops up, even once, on this release. Possibly the only time my ears pricked up from their slumber was when the band included a few middle eastern melodies into the beginning of the title track. Something which, I’m sure you'll agree, is far from enough to save this travesty.

What irks me most about the likes of Nemesis isn't so much that they sound like Dream Theater, but more like a piss poor Dream Theater. Vocalist Zoltan Kiss could be a less talented James LaBrie, and the musicians rape their influences with every uninteresting riff, pointless keyboard solo and nauseatingly upbeat vocal-pattern. At least Dream Theater are able to inject a bit of aggression into their material. Not so here. Eden? merely sounds like the jolliest power metal with a LaBrie impersonator. Awful, awful stuff. Even prog-metal masochists ought to see through this tripe.

2.0/10

Nemesis Official Website
Sensory Official Website