nevermore's original drummer

deathstrike from hell

Deathstrike lambtron
Aug 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
hey everyone. i have a video bootleg of nevermore from the early 90's. its in seattle washington and its outside. they were playing songs off "in memory" lke matricide. my question is who the hell is the drummer? hes incredible, but not van williams. he's a really big guy who looks almost jamaican. big ass dreds. hopeing someone knows the answer

Hmm... Are you sure it's early 90's? As you might now, In Memory EP came out in 96 and their first album in 95 so I think it's unlikely they would be playing In Memory songs in early 90's.

Also Van Williams was in the band in the first album already. Are you sure it is not Van Williams? Because as far as I can understand your description, he could very well fit... He is a mulatto or something like that and could very well look like Jamaican.

general8: on the nevermore demo is already matracide and the sorrowed man...so it can be that they played it in 92 or 93...before the s/t. second point: even some songs of the selftitled are ot drummed by VW but by someone esle (look in the booklet).

I believe the guys name is Mark Arington and he played drums on some of the somgs on the NEVERMORE

That was me ZANEX above. My computer fucked up. Anyway, I believe the guy is Mark Arrington and he played drums on some songs on the NEVERMORE self-titled release. I could be totally wrong so don't take what I say as total fact. I will have to read the liner note in the C.D. for NEVERMORE.

thanks zanex. u were right :)

What Tommarrow Knows"

Long before the pox of grunge was cast upon the city of Seattle, the region was well-known in the 1980's as a fertile breeding ground for stylish metal bands the likes of Queensrÿche, Fifth Angel and Heir Apparent. One of the heavier bands to emerge in that time frame was Sanctuary, who displayed enough talent to release two major-label records (Refuge Denied and Into The Mirror Black through Epic) and enough success to net major tours with bands such as Megadeth, Testament and Fates Warning. After the band's dissolution in late 1991 due to internal conflict, vocalist Warrel Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard were both left with a desire to play music that was powerful and melodic; music strong enough to transcend the limitations of the trend du jour. And thus, Nevermore were born.

The pair teamed up with an exceptional young lead guitarist by the name of Jeff Loomis, who fit much more naturally with the music of Nevermore than the death metal band from which he came, and drummer Mark Arrington. It only took some rough demo tracks to draw the attention of Neil Kernon, who in his illustrious career has produced albums for the likes of Queensrÿche, Dokken, and Flotsam & Jetsam. In essence, Kernon believed in the band so much that he took them under his wing and offered to help produce their future work, all before a label had been contacted or financial backing secured.

Their debut record was then recorded in two sessions, both at Robert Lang Studios with Kernon at the helm. The first was recorded with the original line-up, although it became apparent before the second began that a new drummer would have to be located before the second could begin -- therefore, newcomer Van Williams was summoned to replace Arrington, and the record was promptly completed. The result was a vibrantly colorful record that went from the immediate impact of a song like "What Tomorrow Knows" to the flash leads of Loomis on "Sea Of Possibilities" to a poignant ballad of remorse such as "The Hurting Words".

It was a record of clarity, skill and force that was as three-dimensional as its cover artwork (stare at it for a while...you'll get it). Presently in the studio working on their follow-up effort (tentatively titled Politics of Ecstasy), Nevermore (now a quintet, following the addition of second guitarist Pat O'Brien) hope to continue composing music whose strength and beauty to speak for itself, regardless of the current trends.