New Cathedral

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
How come there is no discussion about it, i expected at least someone (Doomcifer) to start a topic on this?
Anyway i bought it almost 2 weeks ago, its definetally the most weird and demanding Cathedral album, lots of non - doom, lots of old school doom, lots of NWOBHM (North Berwick Witch Trials), huge praise for Celtic Frost, some acid trips, cellos, female vocals, atmospheric flowery parts..and the most important FUCKING GREAT RIFFS.

Where the hell can somebody in the US get this?

r_cathedral-garden_100x100.gif
Cathedral - The Garden Of Unearthly Delights (Nuclear Blast Records)

Few would deny that Coventry (U.K.) Based act Cathedral is one of the psychedelic doom/stoner rock scene’s true icons.

For close to twenty-five years, the four piece act (Who have for the last ten years kept the line-up of vocalist Lee Dorrian (Ex-Napalm Death), guitarist Gary ‘Gaz’ Jennings, bassist Leo Smee and drummer Brian Dixon) have set the standard for which many have acts have measured and adhered themselves to.

After tidying up contractual obligations with Earache Records (Which resulted in the career 2004’s retrospective/rarities double album set The Serpents Gold), Cathedral are back with the follow up to 2002’s The VIIth Coming (Which was released through both Spitfire Records and Dreamcatcher Records) in their eighth release The Garden Of Unearthly Delight’ (Their first release with their new label Nuclear Blast Records).

Although following closely to the direction that has been set down by their last couple of albums, The Garden Of Unearthly Delights is definitely one of the Cathedral’s most cohesive and strongest releases in years, along with a couple of surprises thrown in for those who believe that everything emerging from the Cathedral has all been said and done before.

After a suitably demonic introduction piece (‘Dearth AD 2005’), the band thump their way through the bass heavy classic rocker ‘Tree Of Life & Death’ in true Cathedral style (Much like the even heavier and crushing tracks ‘Upon Azrael’s Wings’ and ‘Beneath A Funeral Sun’ later on in the album).

Conjuring up memories of ‘Hopkins (Witchfinder General)’ (Which appeared on 1995’s The Carnival Bizarre), the groove laden ‘North Berwick Witch Trials’ is a definite nod to the bands past (Both in the lyrical and musical sense), while the same catchy Black Sabbath riff led vibe is followed through in ‘Corpsecycle’ and ‘Oro The Manslayer’ (Which is preceded by the short acoustic/violin instrumental ‘Fields Of Zagara’).

The track that will attract the most attention however is the twenty-seven minute epic ‘The Garden’. Utilising female vocals, gentle folk atmospherics (Including various string instruments), skull battering heavier passages (Which really allow Jennings to stand out with his seemingly endless amount of riff ideas), sprawling doom pieces and various psychedelic effects and sounds, ‘The Garden’ could well have released on it’s own merit, and adds to the albums rich diversity.

Cathedral have rarely missed the mark in the past, but there’s something about the overall feeling when listening to The Garden Of Unearthly Delights that makes the album stand out as one of the bands most consistent and classic sounding efforts to date.

Cathedral helped reinvent the stoner/doom movement after following the lead set down by Black Sabbath, and after almost a quarter of a century later, they continue to do so in true style with The Garden Of Unearthly Delights

For close to twenty-five years
Right
Cathedral helped reinvent the stoner/doom movement after following the lead set down by Black Sabbath
Yes after Black Sabbath and before Cathedral, there was no serious doom music. Geez....
Also if i ever find a genie, i will wish that the term "stoner" will be banned (death penalty for those who use it).

Well, so far it is 50/50, excellent and meh. The Celtic Frost pointings rule supreme, for example Oro The Manslayer = :kickass:

I think it is a grower. It's just that I have a hard time with Lee Dorian vocals, always have. This CD is better than the last two imho, although still hit or miss. Time will tell.

Doomcifer said:
Well, so far it is 50/50, excellent and meh. The Celtic Frost pointings rule supreme, for example Oro The Manslayer = :kickass:

I think it is a grower. It's just that I have a hard time with Lee Dorian vocals, always have. This CD is better than the last two imho, although still hit or miss. Time will tell.

me too

Nuclear Blast To Use Sniffle Disc Technology For CATHEDRAL Digipak

2005-09-29 15:14:58

Due for release in North America in January 2006, CATHEDRAL's new CD, The Garden Of Unearthly Delights, will be available in a limited edition digipak in which the CD will be shaped as an apple. Not only that but heat built up during playback and rubbing of the label side of the CD reveals a green apple scent.

Nuclear Blast, long known for their special packages and special promotions, has started to use Sony's Sniffle Disc technology. According to http://www.sonydadc.com/products.special.sniffle.go, the aroma can be placed on all parts of the label-print and is released by rubbing the label. A Sniffle Disc will last for approximately one year and is available for CD-Audio and CD-ROM. It can also be combined with other Sony DADC Specials. Flower scents like rose or jasmine can be used to underline romantic themes or fruit scents like peach used for your summer hit compilation. Whatever you choose, our Sniffle Disc will make your CD stand out from the crowd.

The new Cathedral CD appears to be the first major Heavy Metal release to feature this special technology.

(Thanks: Tito M. Cantafio)