New Chimaira Album

I agree with James. I think in the future each band will have their own producer/engineer to work on all the material you could consider them to be a part of the band. I feel that digital download releases will become more and more common that the need for this will be justified. Just my take.

nah, that's really nowhere near what i was saying. and as i've said before in the forum, the day that music goes "download only" is the day i start stealing music. i will not pay for a file. period.

Oh well I guess I should have put "in addition to agreeing with James". I know it's sad I just don't see tangible medium lasting for more than 10 years. Technology is moving so fast. It took a little over than 10 years for beta max to succumb to VHS. It took less than 2 years for HD DVD to fall off the market. Different medium but I hope you see where I'm going. Sorry for the tangent guys. New Chimaira album should be great.

I agree and disagree...there will be more people who turn more and more towards digital media exclusively...it will be funny when folks "bust out with thier cd's" like we do with our vinyl now for some sense of nostalgia....

However, I'd like to think there are several people on this forum, if not even more widespread, that like having that tangible product. There is a sense of "magic", for the lack of a better term, when you have artwork/lyrics/pictures: something visual to put to the music you are listening to. Sure, the masses are more worried about the #1 hit and cutouts from a Tiger Beat mag or whatever... but there will always be the folks (like me) who, regardless of how much digital media is available or posessed, will always have a likening for a phyiscal product a few steps over just being able to hear it. Yes, in the end, all that matters is the music...but it's like movies and thier soundtracks/scores: there is an enlightening connection. There is more life to a film with a mood-setting soundtrack/score than a film with no music - There is more life for some people when they have the mood set for thier music with visuals, etc. (beyond just pasting the cover art for the album from Amazon.com after you download it from limewire). It's one step closer to seeing the band live for a lot of people.

.pdf's haven't killed books yet.... so, we'll see.

as i said, if it happens, i will become a criminal.... so here's hoping that bands and labels continue to find a market for hard media. the day any band i like goes "download" only , is the day i download their album illegally, instead of ordering the CD.

i'll be buying the new Chimaira CD, for sure.

alot of people are buying digital downloads now.....If I remember correctly, didn't the last American idol winner go over platinum on digital downloads alone??? Not that I like anything American idol has produced.....just making a statement!:lol:

But I agree with James, I prefer physical media myself.

I 100% agree with James.
I've not yet bought a file via iTunes, and never will.

Anyway, back on point;
I also agree that it's important for bands to self-regulate material before they present it to others, but having a producer AND an engineer is important.
Someone like Rick Rubin is known for listening to music - not listening to the "snare ring".. but the song. He has a "renowned" ear for songs, and the flow of an album.. Which is why he keeps scrapping albums worth of material by some of the worlds biggest bands before he releases it. So that it's a great song by the time it gets into the studio.

Then he lets the engineers do their thing - but ensures that the message doesn't get lost in the wall of guitars and clicky kicks.

Bands, as James said, at the highest level of their game like to keep their song writing at its best so that every album will maintain their success. So yeah, they'll demo things at home and let other people (notably their producer) hear it .. but when it comes to record making time - they'll concentrate on performing (their job) and hopefully let the engineer get on with making it sound the best that it can.. While relying on the producer to make sure that they are performing the song in the best possible way.

So, it's not really a surprise to find that a lot of bands will produce themselves at a certain level [ or if they have an assured leader (Opeth, Necrophagist )] but rarely will they try to engineer it as well. Too many hats to wear for a single man.

Meh, my 2 pennies!

Zeuss is mixing the new album....

Wonder if these dudes aren't getting the budget they used to? I can only imagine Zeuss is cheaper than Andy and Collin. Thats no slam on Zeuss either. I've really enjoyed A LOT of the albums he's mixed.

I saw Bleed The Sky a couple weeks back, and talked to Austin (the drummer)'s tech. He said Rob and Austin have been jamming out some stuff that is just crazy, and showed me pics of Chimaira's "studio."

I've seen as much Chimaira media as the next guy, but this was all new scenery to me. So hell, maybe they just pimped out another practice space, did pre-prod on their own, then will record it at the same place as they did Andols' drums for Ressurection or at Spider Studios.

Time will tell, but i know it will be fuckin sick!

You can see in the vids on their page that pre-prod is done in the rehearsal space. Their rehearsal space now does look a bit different than their last one, though. Maybe it's the same place with a new look (i.e. the red walls), but overall their facility looks a bit bigger than the ones I've seen in the past so I think it's a new place.