New deal for ZZ Top

"The veteran rock trio is planning to hit the studio with Rubin producing, for an album more in keeping with "La Grange"-era ZZ Top than its pop-friendly '80s sound, according to manager Carl Stubner."

sixxswine said:
I'm stoked!

Same here!! :)

It's pretty awesome how ZZ Top are a billion years old and can still rock the hell out. I caught when they performed on American Idol :oops: and it was probably one of the most bad ass things to be on television in ages.

I'm not worthy :worship: !

Cooool , and back to the old sound would be superb ... I love the sound of songs like "gimme all your lovin'" and "Legs", those videolips are burnt in my mind still, part of my teen years when I started to like hot rods and stuff. I don't like the more "electronic" sound they played after that. Hope they get some nice new custom cars to put in some clips again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? They're pretty rocking songs, I'm not a fan of ZZ Top but those are fine by me, specially 'Legs'.

They're absolutely rocking songs but they are not the old school ZZ Top of La Grange etc. I'm not that well versed in ZZ Top history myself but Eliminator was the album where they introduced the electric drums and moved towards that more "futuristic" sound.

They're absolutely rocking songs but they are not the old school ZZ Top of La Grange etc. I'm not that well versed in ZZ Top history myself but Eliminator was the album where they introduced the electric drums and moved towards that more "futuristic" sound.

exactly. i like all zz top stuff, even the new albums, but pre eliminator is what they call the "classic" sound or whatever they say in the interview

The veteran rock trio is planning to hit the studio with Rubin producing, for an album more in keeping with "La Grange"-era ZZ Top than its pop-friendly '80s sound, according to manager Carl Stubner.
Good news! ALthough I liked Eliminator and Afterburner I kinda lost interest in them after that.

ZZ Top is awesome, but I'm not holding out hope for anything too spectacular from them anymore. Tres Hombres is my favorite of their's, followed by Deguello, Fandango, First album, Rio Grande Mud, etc. I do think Eliminator is good too...but they lost me after that one. I still check on each new release. Their formula these days seems to be 3 good songs, and a bunch of boring ones (per album). We'll see. Maybe Rick Rubin can set them straight. They are still capable...songs like Made Into a Movie on XXX are awesome...so they can still pull it off in a pinch. Anyway, that first group of albums solidifies them in my book as one of the great blues/rock bands of all time...they kind of have Metallica syndrome though; amazing at first, meh after that.

They're absolutely rocking songs but they are not the old school ZZ Top of La Grange etc.

But again we are the Old School, not the old albums forum. My point is if the band keeps the old school path I see no problem to be mention in here as a regular topic. If it doesn't follow it up anymore (like new Metallica of Def Leppard) they should be OT or go to the general discussion forum.

But again we are the Old School, not the old albums forum. My point is if the band keeps the old school path I see no problem to be mention in here as a regular topic. If it doesn't follow it up anymore (like new Metallica of Def Leppard) they should be OT or go to the general discussion forum.

Who said anything about this being in the wrong forum? :err:
The point here was that generally ZZ Top's "old school" albums were the ones before Eliminator and on that album they started experimenting with electronic drums etc. So if the band is going back to the old school sound one shouldn't expect stuff like Legs and Gimme All Your Lovin' (which are brilliant songs in their own right).

Who said anything about this being in the wrong forum? :err:
The point here was that generally ZZ Top's "old school" albums were the ones before Eliminator and on that album they started experimenting with electronic drums etc. So if the band is going back to the old school sound one shouldn't expect stuff like Legs and Gimme All Your Lovin' (which are brilliant songs in their own right).

I dunno if its a matter of language/communication or we are seeing things different way, so let's drop it here no point in discussion moreover when I don't care for theband past or present music :)

ZZ Top is awesome, but I'm not holding out hope for anything too spectacular from them anymore. They are still capable...songs like Made Into a Movie on XXX are awesome...so they can still pull it off in a pinch. Anyway, that first group of albums solidifies them in my book as one of the great blues/rock bands of all time...

Mescalero and XXX were their best effort from their RCA years. I'm thinking this album will be their best in the last 25 years....

I think that album is overrated myself. I love their pre-Eliminator stuff the best...

Yep, became a fan with Fandango many years ago. I would have loved to have seen them on the Deguello tour or earlier.
If anybody needs a frame of reference for ZZ, I HIGHLY suggest the ZZ TOP Six Pack.....

Mescalero and XXX were their best effort from their RCA years. I'm thinking this album will be their best in the last 25 years....

I wasn't thrilled with XXX, and I don't think I bought Mescalero...will have to check that out.

Yep, became a fan with Fandango many years ago. I would have loved to have seen them on the Deguello tour or earlier.
If anybody needs a frame of reference for ZZ, I HIGHLY suggest the ZZ TOP Six Pack.....

I wasn't thrilled with XXX, and I don't think I bought Mescalero...will have to check that out.

The "live" tracks weren't really live at all. They were simply the band playing "live" in the studio... Also the guest appearance from Jeff Beck was recorded in Billy Gibbons' hotel room somewhere on tour then inserted into the "live" recording... I think that was Bill Hamm's idea. Though I have to say that "Sin Pusher" which is a reworked version of "Pincusion" is better than the original... Pick up Mescalero there's even a tribute to Van Halen on there in addition to a great version of "Tramp" on there.... I wouldn't suggest the Six Pack as they have been remixed and have taken the life out of the recordings...Great records that have been pussified...