New Drug Czar Report Relies Primarily On Unpublished Data

Thrashard925

Dec 8, 2003
Sin City
http://norml.com/index.cfm?Group_ID=6534

New Drug Czar Report Relies Primarily On Unpublished Data

May 19, 2005 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: A report released this week by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) purporting to "set the record straight" regarding the number of inmates incarcerated for marijuana-related offenses relies almost entirely on "unpublished estimates" from a 1997 Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) survey.

The report, entitled "Who's Really in Prison for Marijuana," cites "unpublished BJS estimates" on six occasions to imply that few, if any, marijuana offenders are behind bars. However, a similar, published 1997 BJS paper referred to by the ONDCP in its report states that 13 percent of state drug offenders and 19 percent of federal drug offenders are incarcerated for marijuana offenses. A 1999 NORML report, based on the 1997 BJS data, estimated that one in seven drug prisoners (or 39,188 total inmates, not including those held in county jails) were incarcerated for marijuana offenses.

The ONDCP report did not address FBI data indicating that annual arrests for marijuana offenses have more than doubled in the past decade, peaking at a record high 755,000 arrests in 2003, at the same time that overall criminal arrests have declined. Of those arrested for marijuana offenses, nearly 90 percent are charged with minor possession only, not cultivation or sale. According to a recent analysis of marijuana arrest data by the NORML Foundation, the enforcement of state and local marijuana laws annually costs US taxpayers an estimated $7.6 billion.

Commenting on the Drug Czar's report, NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said: "Police have arrested over seven million Americans for marijuana violations since 1990, and now average more than 700,000 arrests per year - primarily for marijuana possession. While not all of those individuals arrested are eventually sentenced to long prison terms, the fact remains that the repercussions of a marijuana arrest alone are significant - including: probation and mandatory drug testing; a criminal record; loss of driving privileges; loss of federal college aid; asset forfeiture; revocation of professional driver's license; loss of certain welfare benefits such as food stamps; removal from public housing; loss of child custody; and loss of employment. In other words, whether or not marijuana offenders ultimately serve time in jail, the fact is that hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens are having their lives needlessly destroyed each year for nothing more than smoking marijuana."

For more information, please contact either Allen St. Pierre or Paul Armentano of NORML at (202) 483-5500. Full text of NORML's 2005 marijuana arrest report, "Crimes of Indiscretion: Marijuana Arrests in the United States," is available online at:
http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6411

The HORROR! The HORROR!

Give it up: Dope is illegal and always will be. After watching several close friends and family members turn into unproductive pieces of crap as a result of smoking too much of that shit, it should remain that way.

Rozy157 said:
The HORROR! The HORROR!

Give it up: Dope is illegal and always will be. After watching several close friends and family members turn into unproductive pieces of crap as a result of smoking too much of that shit, it should remain that way.

Pot effects everyone differently. Chances are, Pot is not the cause for your friends... they were always weak minded people to start with.

Take a look at alcohol. There are people out there, that are total assholes- Regardless if they drink or not.

I smoke Pot almost every day and Im not lazy. I make close to $50,000 a year working on Computer Networks and my house is VERY clean and organized.

Marijuana didnt become ilegal untill 1937 and it was bullshit politics and racism that gave Marijuana a bad name.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson not only smoked Marijuana, but they owned massive Marijuana Plantations all up and down the East cost.

Marijuana used to grow all up and down the Hudson River between NJ and NYC.

Rozy157 said:
The HORROR! The HORROR!

Just because your friends and family are dumbasses is no excuse to violate the Constitution. Fuck the drug war.

They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.

If I want to become unmotivated, it's not the government's place to stop me.

yeah fucking legalize it - it unmotivates me but hey I'm a drunk. I have fun when I choose to do it.

Isn't hops and marijuana in the same plant family?

What the fuck was that 1937 about anyway - it was in place until 1968 I believe. Wasn't it the a stamp act?

Thrashard925 said:

Or you could just explain it with a picture:

ashing%20the%20constitution.jpg

Personally I don't give a shit if weed is legal or not. I'll still smoke it anyway. It cracks me up when people who drink talk shit about potheads. Fuck you ya alcoholic!, at least I don't go into seizures when I don't have weed! :lol:

Arg_Hamster said:
If alcohol was illegal instead of weed, I belive domestic violence would take a dive. Hey, that´s just a theory.

Alcohol abuse continued and in many ways got worse in the United States during Prohibition. Instead of being able to comfortably consume alcohol, people were encouraged to drink excessively in places hidden from cops. (Or the cops were bribed to look the other way.) There was also a lot of criminal activity associated with meeting the demand for alcohol.