New Evergrey Interview With Henrik Danhage!

The Absorbant said:
LOL

Hendrick Dan-age... Americans always were good at pronouncing foreign words...not!

They're simply too arrogant to learn a proper pronounciation for foreign names.
Even when they're talking to someone in person... o_O
I think it's all about showing respect to a foreign person by doing a simple thing like saying his/her name the right way.

If you aren't clear on how to say someone's name, you should always ask before you go on the air. But what's funny is that I've heard Rikard introduce himself as Richard, and when I asked him about it, he said people have trouble pronouncing it. I was sorta taken aback. I can understand getting Jonas wrong (although no one would ever say JENS with a hard J), but the name isn't that difficult!

Of course, people get MY name wrong, and it doesn't have any unusual sound combinations. :p

SickBoy said:
They're simply too arrogant to learn a proper pronounciation for foreign names.
Even when they're talking to someone in person... o_O
I think it's all about showing respect to a foreign person by doing a simple thing like saying his/her name the right way.

I guess we are arrogant... :Smug:

jaimek said:
If you aren't clear on how to say someone's name, you should always ask before you go on the air. But what's funny is that I've heard Rikard introduce himself as Richard, and when I asked him about it, he said people have trouble pronouncing it. I was sorta taken aback. I can understand getting Jonas wrong (although no one would ever say JENS with a hard J), but the name isn't that difficult!

Of course, people get MY name wrong, and it doesn't have any unusual sound combinations. :p

I've always wondered with your name, is the J a "hard" English J, or a European pronounced J(like a Y)?

Getting ppls names wrong sucks, my last name is quite easy (i think), yet people still get it wrong!!

Daniel

Jaime with a hard J - it's basically Jamie with the proper spelling. ;)

It's my last name that people get wrong all the time, though. I get annoyed with telemarketers who call and ask for Ms Keh... Keh... Kempton? It's KIMPTON, numbnuts, do you see an E in there? Or an R? I'd hate to have one of those long and complicated names.

jaimek said:
It's my last name that people get wrong all the time, though. I get annoyed with telemarketers who call and ask for Ms Keh... Keh... Kempton? It's KIMPTON, numbnuts, do you see an E in there? Or an R? I'd hate to have one of those long and complicated names.

It seems that foreign names aren't the only problem here... :tickled:

Well, I suppose that's the trouble with the languages being written and spoken differently. In Croatian, you read as you write and vice versa, every pronounced letter is written, so there's much less confusion about how you write things. OTOH, Croatian is very difficult, while English is probably one of the easiest languages to learn (explaining its worldwide spread).

Na man, im slovak and understand Jugoslav languages (c'mon, it is what it is, im sorry if that offends you). i think Slavic languages such as Slovak, Serb and Croation are alot easier than English.

At Jaimek: lol, i get it now, i thought the K was part of your first name. Its amazing how letters are added and subtracted from simple last names.

Daniel\m/

Nebulous said:
Na man, im slovak and understand Jugoslav languages (c'mon, it is what it is, im sorry if that offends you).

If you think that could offend me, then don't put it that way... ;)
I get your point, anyway.

i think Slavic languages such as Slovak, Serb and Croation are alot easier than English.

I strongly disagree!
Being a native speaker of Croatian and having learnt English in school and through lyrics and movies, I can honestly say that I couldn't expect an English native speaker to have the same level of knowledge in my language as I have in his. And mind you, I'm no English professor... ;)
The construction of sentences and words is whole lot easier in English, that's why so many local bands tend to do lyrics in English (apart from the fact that you can write so many rubbish the locals won't mind because it's in foreign language :tickled: ).