NEW FEATURE: SABBATH - The Tony Martin Era

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Royal Carnage is proud to present our follow up feature to Iron Maiden....

BLACK SABBTH - The Tony Martin Era.

This feature is brought to you by Papa Josh, and I'm sure you'll find it a great read! Worthy of roundtable discussion, whether you're familiar or not with "The Cat"!

A special thanks to Haddsie who scrambled the graphics together on an archaic laptop (since being laid off, she's had to hand in her work PC which was actually the backbone of all the RC graphics, :lol: ).

:Spin:

Interesting....cduniverse is selling Tyr for $6.29 brand new...ships in 1-2 days....muhahahaha.

And by the way, I only owned 2 Martin era albums (Idol and Headless Cross) - I liked them both, but I preferred Headless Cross.

I don't even own any Dio-era Sabbath, but I have always been curious about Tyr... might have to pick that up now.

Heh, I'm listening to Headless Cross again...definately one of my favourite Sabbath albums. Tony has such a great voice.

I read the reviews for Eternal Idol and Headless Cross...good stuff. Forgot that Brian May played on one of those albums :eek: but I thought that the bassist on Headless Cross was Neil Murray? :confused:

Reading the review for Tyr now as I'll be receiving this in a trade soonish...

Glad you guys appreciate my write up. I own every release and I honestly love that era. Has anyone here seen the Cross Purposes Live VHS/cd? I have it and must say that Martin's performance is excellent, and HE HAD A COLD that night!!!!!

Check out this set list:

Time Machine
Children of the Grave
I Witness
Mob Rules
Into The Void
Anno Mundi
Black Sabbath
Neon Knights
Psychophobia
The Wizard (1st time played live in 20 years or so..)
Cross of Thorns
Symptom Of The Universe
Headless Cross
Paranoid
Iron Man
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Geezer onstage with that lineup was pretty fuckin cool. :cool:

And the reason you probably thought Neil Murray was the bassist on HC, Ayeka, was because he joined in time for the video and tour.

I have to give you credit on writing such a big feature on a topic I didn't think I would ever see. I will admit, that have little to no familiarity with Martin era Sabbath, but it was a good read, and I am mildly curious now... :)

I fucken own almost anything that Sabbath has put out solo and whatever. Sabbath was the first band that my uncle got me into at the tender young age of like 11!!! :) Tony Martin's stuff with Sabbath is some of the best music I have heard from them...I kid you not. I am glad that he is finally getting the recognition he so deserves! Headless Cross and Tyr are excellent CD's highly recommend...also the video is killer...he does a very good job at the old Sabbath Dio/Ozzy era tunes. While I am at it might as well toss in Gillan, Gillen and Hughes as some of the other vocalist that recorded with Sabbath (or the like)...Halford did a tour but never recorded with them to my knowledge and then there is the guy who was suppose to sing on Seventh Star (forget his name) but never did although I hear there are some tapes floating around with his vocals.

Awesome work with the Tony years!

Cheers, (yet another) Tony :)

warmwetos said:
Halford did a tour but never recorded with them to my knowledge
Are you serious? Rob Halford did a tour with Sabbath as stand-in vocalist? Wow I wouldn't mind hearing a bootleg of that. I swear, all my life, I've always wondered what "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" would sound like if Halford sung it, because in my head, it would be near-perfect for his range.

He did two shows at the end of the Dehumanizer tour. Sabbath were supporting Ozzy and Dio refused to sing in those circumstances (fair enough if you ask me) so Rob filled in. Word is that because he didn't know most of the words he spent much of the shows in a macho pose reading them off cheat sheets...squinting because the old eyes don't work as well as they used to! :D

Shit, I read something about 'em in an interview, but this would have been a good two years back...maybe do a Google and find his official site...

Papa Josh said:
Ayeka is correct.

Dio took severe offense being asked to open for Ozzy...
Can't say that I blame him...

But, back to Mr. Martin, has anyone heard any of his current projects? I have not and i am curious...
I got a CD with Martin singing in the band Rondineli (sp?) Booby Rondeineli drummer and his brother on guitar and cant' remember the others. It's not too bad, Martin is just freakin' amazing on vocals as always although the CD goes from some powermetal type tunes to more like hard rock which is OK but for me it could have been done better. If interested I can look up the CD for more information and shit. :)

Bump.

@Markgugs - if you read this thread, you'll notice talk of a Black Sabbath show with Rob Halford on vocals. Man, if you could track down a bootleg of that... :cool:

Also, I finally bought Tyr !!! Got it on half.com (brand new) for the usual $2 special! :D Only heard the first two tracks but it sounds great - slightly more dynamic than I expected.