New gibsons with emg's and kahler

Damn you...as if I weren't GAS'ing for an Explorer enough as it is. Fuck, the Explorer body shape just screams "METULLLL!!!!11!!1!" to me, and always has. I've always wanted one...this isn't helping, lol. I've always wanted an Explorer with the dark natural finish, EMGs and black hardware...basically like the custom one that Hetfield has:

jh5.jpg

UK_JamesHetfield_400.jpg

FUCK.

~006

You are correct sir. :)

I've tried to get Warmoth to duplicate that headstock as it's basically a Flying V headstock but with two little extensions on either side at the top and a slight difference at the bottom where the nut is...but they won't do it :(

Oh well. I have been considering this Explorer style guitar from ESP since it has a cool spalted top and EMG-81/60 combination with black chrome hardware:

FX-400SM.jpg

However the body is more pointy and I don't know if I like it as much as Gibson's curvier style. For $629US it seems like a steal, and it plays really well to boot. I love ESP/LTD/Schecter, great guitars for the money.

~006

OMFG! Dude I asked them probably over two years ago when my obsession for that style of Explorer (Hetfield's) began. I haven't really had any interest in anything else from them since then so I never checked. Holy crap. Warmoth may end up with some business from me :)

However...the LTD FX-400 is set-neck, and for only $629 it is already finished and put together, EMG's wired up ready to go. While none of that is a problem for me (I can put it together, set it up, install EMG's, and even finish the guitar myself) it does save a LOT of time, plus I can order the LTD now and get it on my doorstep in two days. I know Warmoth will finish the guitar and neck, but at an additional cost... :mad: The only thing that ever bugged me about Warmoth is the bolt-on deal, I really do love set necks, the access to the higher frets is unmatched other than neck-thru. Even though I say this, I absolutely love my Fender Strat and it has one HELL of a huge chunk with the neck and pocket combined, lol. I dunno...maybe I'll price out a Hetfield copy with Warmoth and really think about my options. Thanks Tastic for the info!

michael_glowacki_lrg.jpg

FUCK!

~006

Or you could think about what the resident mad scientist could do to something like this if you just got the paddle headstock and a couple of solid drawings...

[gathers collection of sharp, pointy things]

Jeff

Yeah, I totally agree, but don't forget, this is from the company that specializes in laughably pathetic, cliche attempts to market to the "youths," such as the Les Paul with the random cross literally cut out of it, the Les Paul with random "slices" in the body and a big fist in the inlay, etc. I do, however, really like the one with the P90 in the neck and the faded flamed maple top; I think they call it the BFG.

And 006, no problem dude! I'm really drooling over a Warmoth myself, and while I agree that the neck joint thing is a little aggravating (and why can't they just make a nice curved joint like Ibanez, the king of neck joints?), they still do offer their "contoured heel" which is better than nothing, and for the cutsomizability, well, it's worth it to me. :) And that Explorer is damn sexy, what kind of wood is that?

Oh, and is it just me, or has Kerry King pretty much single-handedly revived Kahler? I thought they were bankrupt at some point, and he was the only person for awhile I ever knew of using one, and now it seems they're getting popular again...

The one from Warmoth that is pictured above is a mahogany body with flame koa top. And it looks fucking killer! However, after trying to configure my Explorer with Warmoth I've decided I would be better off buying the FX-400 and then taking the clear coat off and staining it super dark like Hetfield's and re-sealing it. The cost-to-benefit ratio isn't enough for me for the Warmoth one.

I went through this a while back on a PRS Custom22 copy that I had configured with them. Nothing special about it...but it turned out to be just $100 less than the used ones on eBay. Made no sense to me to spend that kind of money and end up with a bolt-on when I could spend $100 more and get the real deal and have neck-thru. So far with just these options:

• Mahogany body
• rear routed for H-X-H
• Gibson style TOM w/ StopTail bridge routing
• clear satin finish
• angled neck pocket
• contoured heel

Will run me about $410. Then the neck cannot be configured, technically, since the headstock isn't a readily available option. However, for this:

• mahogany neck
• ebony fretboard
• no inlays, side dots
• KL headstock

Should run about $350 or more. Just say $400. So far this guitar is going to cost ~$810, and I haven't even factored in two EMGs, TonePros bridge and stop-tail, tuners, knobs, all the covers and pickup rings, jack, screws and anything else I haven't mentioned. So add about $200-275 on top, I'm spending over $1,000 already. And I still have to put it together, and it's bolt-on. Whereas I can spend $629+s&h, sand the clear coat down and buy an $8 can of stain and have a similar guitar for much less and it's set-neck construction. Save a lot of money, time and hassle going with the LTD. Even though what I *really* want is an identical copy of Hetfield's Explorer. Decisions, decisions...

~006

Man, I had an idea for that headstock way before Hetfield. I called it an "Eagle's Beak" style. It's a trip how old ideas just pop up years later. I wrote "Master of Puppets" (the album) when I was 3 too. In drop B though. Damnit!

Those Gibsons are horrible!
I hate the V headstock & the rounded blobby fins, and the placement of the jack input, & those horrible clear plastic pots & the stupid plastic knob on the end of the trem bar....:puke::puke::puke:

What do you mean? They're in tune with the newest trends! It's not like they're a gigantic design-by-committee conglomeration whose last good idea is older than 95% of the people who post here! This is innovative - a quasi-experimental shape with the latest trends in electronics and hardware! We, as the metal community, should be jumping on this like Marilyn Monroe on John F. Kennedy!

(What do you mean, that last quip was dated? We're GIBSON!)

Jeff

Horrible looking tremolos. 22 frets is NOT shred. Very expensive. Noooooooo!

For that price it should have 24 frets, cooler inlays, and an original Floyd. A 7 string model of the Shred-X with those specs plus EMG 707s with coil tap would be amazing as well.

But as JBroll said - this is Gibson...

guy I know locally owns a few of those Ken Lawrence axes. Cant say Ive played em.. but they're nice to look at.