New Guitar Day- Caparison content...

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey all, I picked up my new Caparison Horus, Scarab/Go this morning...

P1030711.jpg

P1030662.jpg

P1030665.jpg

P1030667.jpg

P1030672.jpg

P1030674.jpg

P1030676.jpg

P1030680.jpg

P1030684.jpg

P1030685.jpg

P1030686.jpg

P1030692.jpg

P1030694.jpg

P1030699.jpg

P1030700.jpg

decent. not liking the bolt on neck.

You should check out a TAT then, its the only neck through that Caparison makes.
(Can't remember if the Orbit is a set neck or a neckthrough)

Personally not ever a fan of gold hardware. Glad you are lovin' it though.

I said the same thing over at the Caparison forum :)
There are guitars that it looks good on, and this is one of them.

They do black or Gold hardware, but this finish looks best with Gold imo, but yeah ultimately its a shredding machine, and asthetics weren't as high in the priorities... Luckily enough I like how it looks as well... :D

fair enough, but I see thru necks as unnecessary, so bolt on suits me fine sound wise...

Great looking, and as you've confirmed, great sounding guitar, Dan!
Bolt ons are all about the neck joint. My Ibanez 320fm is an AANJ, which like Caparison's neck joint, are quite comfortable to play. My old RG570 has the tilt neck joint, and took a while to get used to. I don't have huge hands, and I have fat fingers. I LOVE neck through guitars, and was saddened back in the day when I had to choose a Charvel Model 4
over a Model 6 due to price, but that was THE best neckthrough I've ever played, but I have yet to lay hands on a TAT. :heh:

Orbit is also neck through, but I doubt Kenneth would be wanting a guitar with 27 frets, because that would be extraneous and quite unnecessary... :p

But seriously, TAT would be the one Kenneth if you ever get the chance, check one out... :cool:

The notion that neck thru guitars have more sustain or whatever than a bolt is not necessarily true. Theres a lot of other factors that come into play (pickups, finish, woods, etc). Not to mention bolts allow you greater neck adjustment capabilities than a neck thru. That being said, my main axe is a neck thru and I love the way it plays.

Sure there are other factors dude. Wood is a great one to mention that a lot of people overlook. At the same time, the neck joint is key to conducting those vibrations without interference or damping. In my opinion, on a 6 string guitar, I'd not buy anything where the bridge and nut aren't attached to the same piece of wood. My 7 string RG1527 is bolt on, but that's fine. I don't need that extra sustain on that axe, and the tonal effects of a bolt are more suited for the 7 string sound.

the "difference" in sustain beween a quality bolt-on and a quality neck thru (because both will obviously have their exceptions) is not nearly significant enough (if at all) to play a major difference. If you've got sustain problems caused by a bolt-on joint it's because it isn't fitted properly or the wood isn't matched well.

I said sustain is one of the reasons, not the whole reason. Nor did I mention "problems" so much as you can get so much more out of a through-neck joint. Besides, from a scientific standpoint, there is a clear advantage for one over the other. If I were buying a custom guitar, I wouldn't skimp on anything, this included.

Physics lesson following if you insist.

:rolleyes:

wasn't responding to you dude, just making general commentary. I'll post disclaimers from now on if that'll help.

But as long as I'm at it now, there are clear advantages to both neck thru's and bolt-on's. Neither is flat-out better than the other. Also, "skimping" is hardly a word I would use to describe going with a bolt-on neck (or a set-neck for that matter). There are a lot of players who have made the conscious decision to use bolt-on necks and more than enough high-end, respected companies and luthiers who build them (in many cases exclusively) to validate that method. Using physics gets kind of sketchy unless you're analyzing each individual instrument. Even two guitars with 100% identical specs built at the same time under the same conditions can vary quite a bit.

From a general guitar construction perspective, you're copping out by saying that you have to take it case by case. Sure that's true but it's a minor issue.

The bolt on advantage is if you break your neck you can replace it easily. That's a big deal, but tonally, I think a fair case can be made with basic common sense.

At the very least, the differences between two identical guitars (oxymoron I know....you know what I mean though) are going to be AS prevalant as the difference between neck-thru and bolt-on. No cop-out to be found there, just truth.