New Guitarist's

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
I know this is probably the understatement of the century, but did anybody notice that guitarist are just going down-hill quickly these days, I mean basically if you've been playing for two years and your half decent you can play in a band , I'm not talking about the metal scene here . What's going to happen when Steve vai and all them fade away, there is no talent in the younger generation.

I hear bands like Project Wyze and Slipknot and it makes me sick that kids listen to it and think " yeh man ,metal!" it's fucked up!!

Yeh, i actually think there is a new generation of amazing guitarists coming through...people aged from 16-22 or so... that will eventually start showing up everywhere. Ive seen so many guitarist around that age that are just amazing, in my year at school there were 4 or 5 of us that were really serious on guitar (i mean every 2nd person played guitar, and heaps were in bands and stuff...), that could do all the sweep picking and tapping and such.

Its just that age group grew up with the 80s metal guitarists in their face, and the likes of Kirk Hammet and Marty Friedman and such...

But i also think there is heaps more emphasis on good song writing these days, as opposed to weird techniques or fastness. And thats a good thing, so you may not see how good some of the guitarists really are because theyve realised that tapping and sweeping really dont have that many uses (other than screaming SOLO SOLO SOLO).... even looking at Mikael for example, his soloing on Sorskogen is heaps faster than anything he does in Opeth. Its just all about changing on focus, nowadays theres also a lot more focus on being original, not copying.. and about including many different styles into music. All these things have an effect on the type of guitarists being produced, and i think although quality has gone down in some areas, there are still magicians to come (but they are just magical in other MORE IMPORTANT areas).

But yeh, there is a plethora of guitarists out there that are in bands and have only played for 2 or 3 years, i guess its got to do with lower attention spans, and mainly impatience. I personally have never planned to release any music till i think its good enough, i still see an album (im talking my music, not my band) as being probably 1 year or two away before i should even consider it. And ive been writing music for quite a few years now.

Basically I think there are still guitar genuises coming through, but there are just more beginner guitarists coming through because guitar has become way tooo popular (and as always its the easiest shit that gets noticed and liked).

Buckethead is probably pretty young so he'll probably be around for awhile. Wes (ex-Limp Bizkit) I think has enough potential to be a badass guitarist if he just has the creativity.:) But don't forget about Keith Richards because he apparently cant die!:lol: :lol: I also like John 5 from M. Manson, wish he would get the hell out of Manson's band.

I'm very serious about guitar (and I can fade everyone at my college! On electric, not all those awesome classical guitar students we have here!). I hope to record some stuff with Aethernal (my friend Nate) before the school year is out. So far the stuff we have is sorta progressive clean stuff, with some wicked death riffs mixed in.

Originally posted by blakmetalemp
Buckethead is probably pretty young so he'll probably be around for awhile. Wes (ex-Limp Bizkit) I think has enough potential to be a badass guitarist if he just has the creativity.:) But don't forget about Keith Richards because he apparently cant die!:lol: :lol: I also like John 5 from M. Manson, wish he would get the hell out of Manson's band.

Man manson used to be good, ever sence he started goin all techno or whatever the fuck you want to call it , you know what I mean , he's gone all friendly and shit ,

Originally posted by Sadistik
I'm very serious about guitar (and I can fade everyone at my college! On electric, not all those awesome classical guitar students we have here!). I hope to record some stuff with Aethernal (my friend Nate) before the school year is out. So far the stuff we have is sorta progressive clean stuff, with some wicked death riffs mixed in.

ME TOO! well... i'm not recording right now though, but i am serious! got a whole page filled with vids of me playing, the link below :)

http://bumblefoot.tripod.ca/vids

i rule hehe