new interview ( in german )

*lol* ... funny one.
You asked for a translation... and since my second name is Always-Bored... well, here you have your Oh-how-stupid-did-that-girl-ever-learn-English-Translation o_O :

sounds2move: At first congratulations to your coming album. Was it a hard process? Fans could have asked themselves what should come after "Viva Emptiness".

A.N.: Thanx. Right, we put a high efford and lot of work into this album. I feel relieved that it's done and everyone is satisfied.

sounds2move: "The great cold Distance" sounds quite progressive while being harder than "Viva Emptiness". Has this been planned or did this just happen in the process of songwriting?

A.N.: When we started with the songwriting we tried to do this. It seems to me, as if "TGCD" begins there where we ended with "VE". It contains the hardest and most aggressive material of our career. Nevertheless it has got lots of atmospherical and mood-laden moments at the same time. In comparison to "VE" the main difference is that "TGCD" got a rather dynamic, harder and much more proffessional production. Here we stand today presenting ourselves. You also find some different highlights on the CD - depending on the mood in which you're currently. If you're searching for a traditional Katatonia-song with the typical hooks and melodies, then take 'My Twin', 'Deliberation', 'July' und 'In the White'. If you're searching for some harder stuff than rather take 'Leaders', 'Consternation'. 'Increase', etc. My personal fave is 'Followers', because of the cold and dark atmosphere.

sounds2move: "Viva Emptiness" had obviously a Porcupine Tree - influence. Which are your current fave-bands or by which are you inspired?

A.N.: The same bands we always liked. To mention the greatest inspiration: Tool.

sounds2move: The artwork and the album-title together have a quite dark and disconsolate effect. Which intention has this, or what is the main message?

A.N.: The title is inspired by a ruined world. Everything is going towards it's doom and this is our way to reflect it. The present, a view at the current state of the world, is the real inspiration. The whole work reflects our thoughts and these are transfered musically, lyrically and visual.

sounds2move: Contrary to all metaphors, the Katatonia-lyrics give the feeling as if true happenings are behind everything. Is life really so painful or is there still some hope?

A.N.: If we were that depressed as some people think, then we would have been already sent to closed psychiatry a long time ago. But it's not like this. People should understand that whatever we transfer with Katatonia contains the negativity of our lives - but not only. Katatonia wouldn't be the place for anything different. Katatonia is the artistic replacement to express our negativity in a honest and creative way. The band is our therapy - and for people with same views. Of course it's easy to relate everything to peronal experiences. But our music and lyrics are just to be seen symbolic. Symbols for an uncomfortable live. Yes, you're not alone in the darkness, but the darkness is there anyway and will reach everyone someday... We see live as an everlasting fight to reach the surface after we've been fallen into the deep eternally. Certainly there are moments of pure satisfaction in our lives but how long do they last? I believe it was always in our nature to be on the dark side, somewhere between pessimism and reality.

sounds2move: The first time in your bandhistory there's a musicvideo for the single "My Twin". Was that clip meant to be only for online-promotion or will it also be on the music-channels?

A.N.: It was meant to be for both.

sounds2move: Your single contains "Displaced" and "Dissolving Bonds" - two high quality B-Sides. Why did you take those songs "only" for the single? Didn't they fit to the album because of their mood?

A.N.: Exactly, that's the point! They weren't chosen because everyone thought they were too bad or not fitting (Attention, Irony! - by sounds2move). They WERE as good as any other song on the album, but we had to take two songs for the single. We voted and decided that those songs were the ones for the single. I see it like this: If the B-Sides are gorgeous then the single gets even more attractive and gains a special touch. According to our fans the B-Sides have always been their favourite songs. I think this tradition should be kept.

sounds2move: Surely Katatonia will tour Europe in 2006. What about other continents? Especially in the USA the scandinavian metal experiences a huge boom in the last years. Are there any plans concerning this?

A.N.: We are not a part of this "Big Boom". We had two gigs in the USA and that's it. We would be happy about a change, but we don't try to force it. Things will eventually change when we're signing to another label in the future - a label with an american section.

sounds2move: What about festivals? Are we going to see Katatonia on any (german) summer open airs?

A.N.: I hope so. We're wating for news from our agency. Surely there will be something confirmed during the next weeks. So check out our site regularly.

sounds2move: Similar to Anathema or Paradise Lost your music has changed completely during the years. Today we're listening to a completely different band than 10 years ago. Will this constant development go on in the future or is the current style the "end"?

A.N.: If I had listened to "The Great Cold Distance" in 1992, right after we recorded our demo tape - I would have refused to believe that this should be Katatonia. But I don't think that huge changes will take place in future. But I can't deny this completely. Could I do this anyway?