New Metalcore Mix / Need Advise Please!

juliants

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2011
hey guys
so this is one of my first mixes. i don't like the overal sound yet but i can't seem to improve it. i think it sounds muddy and it does not have enough power.

drums aren't programmed properly and vocals aren't automated yet. i want to get the sound right first.

http://soundcloud.com/juliants/song3-test

any sort of advice would be cool.

thanks in advance

For the most part the sounds are there. I can't make a great judgment because I am at work listening on my earphones but it sounds like you are boosting too much lows and may want to see where your eq is at with the bass drum, guitar, and bass. Prioritize the lows mainly to the bass guitar and a little to the bass drum for some thump but try and add more mids to the kick for definition. Other than that once you begin the intense drum editing I would pay attention to your velocities and timing. It seems that the drums are not fully quantized and may be adding your guitars to sound slightly off during chugs. As for the velocities, play the drums with the song as a drummer would play them and think of how the velocities should match the intensity of the part.

thanks for the tips. i'll work on the drums and try to improve the eq'ing. If i have the time i'll upload an updated version on the weekend.