New Mix! FTFD, MCMB INFLUENCE

there's some real bad timing issues all across the board

sounds like someone put each band person on a seperate cd, put them all into cd players, and had a buntch of 3rd graders try to hit play at the same time
resulting in each person being off time from each other

hahaha yeah... apparently the drummer didnt know how to follow a click track (even after i insisted it was pretty important) after that we were running low on time so we couldnt get a chance to get picky with timing.

mix wise,disregarding performance, how is it?

hahaha yeah... apparently the drummer didnt know how to follow a click track (even after i insisted it was pretty important) after that we were running low on time so we couldnt get a chance to get picky with timing.

mix wise,disregarding performance, how is it?

if that's the unedited/unquantized drums, then that should be more than tight enough to quantize to perfection.

I've made perfect drums out of far worse(as sad as that is to admit)

That being said, there is nothing you can do about the guitars being off now, though. Unless you feel like spending hours stretching DI tracks....

and +1 on the pumping. What are you putting on your master bus?

sounds like someone put each band person on a seperate cd, put them all into cd players, and had a buntch of 3rd graders try to hit play at the same time
resulting in each person being off time from each other

:lol:

but honestly, i also had bands that were off time even worse and
its possibble to edit the shit out of that stuff.

i think its the producers job to get the best out of the instrumentalists WHILE tracking.
i would have never let someone get away with that, hehe!
id wrather send them home with a roughmix of the drums and tell the guy to practice that shit till he gets it right (and make them pay for the booked time)

mix wise, it sounds a little empty and hollow.
maybe check joeys fantastic mixes again and learn from the master himself! ;-)

You can't just ignore the performance when critiquing a mix unfortunately... The final sound of the mix is dictated about 95% by the quality of the performance and the original tones... You couldn't give these raw tracks to Andy himself and get a really great sounding recording out of it if you told him he wasn't allowed to do any editing :/

Alright, here's a Q about quantizing.

When I quantize snare, then the snare from the overheads is off and makes a funny 'clicky' sound in the track, which is something I don't want.

and i just slapped an ozone on the master, i deff think i overcompressed it though.

btw, the production's a done deal and i'm not touching it ever again. It was done since a couple of weeks ago, I just never posted it on here.

I will definitely use the advice for future projects though!

thanks guys

guhhh wouldn't that make the cymbals sound weird then????

not if you edit with brains^^
but ur right, if its too opvious there can be some strange sounds. but if ur lucky the mix drowns them...in case you HAVE to do it the hard way.

use audition for it. group all drum tracks, make a cut before the hit if its too late, make it afterwards if its too early.
match the hit to the grid and crossfade.
theres also a tutorial here somehow, but i cant find it right now