new mix - help would be appreciated!

orbsonb

penguins jersey guy
Apr 28, 2010
pittsburgh
www.myspace.com
I'm working on my first "serious" project and I'm in need of some help tweaking my mixes to sound clear and powerful. my monitor setup is "less than ideal"; waaay bass-heavy boom box speakers i had lying around the house (but I do have some decent studio headphones - audio technica ath m50's) so I'm having trouble pinpointing areas that would help improve my mixes.

Here's one of the songs I'm working on:

I've been messing around with EQ and compression on everything for days on end and I can't come up with anything that satisfies me. This mix feels really fuzzy and weak to me but I can't determine what I need to change to make it more full. In particular, I'm having trouble getting the rhythm guitar to play nice with the bass - one always seems to overpower the other no matter what I do with the low-end EQ (here, the guitars sound like they're drowning it out when i listen through my headphones).

i'm mixing at a really quiet volume and this has no master effects applied, so you'll probably have to turn your volume up a lot...sorry :/ but any help or feedback would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: