New Opeth Song

jem777az

Bozzman
Sep 23, 2007
Peoria, AZ
Not bad, better than most of Heritage which was shit IMO. Still miss the death vox though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good song. Better than I was anticipating at this point. However, as it's the single, I would expect it to be the most song-focused. I'll be curious to hear the album as a whole, as it's been Mikael's meandering and piecing together of fractured bits that have turned me off.

I love it, but I also loved Heritage.

Opeth are one of those bands that garners a weird reaction from their fans with every album.

Personally, I love pretty much all their stuff - each on its own merits/style, etc. I will say I listen to Watershed the most which is a good mix of clean/growls. Still, love it all!

I love it, but I also loved Heritage.

Opeth are one of those bands that garners a weird reaction from their fans with every album.

Personally, I love pretty much all their stuff - each on its own merits/style, etc. I will say I listen to Watershed the most which is a good mix of clean/growls. Still, love it all!

Agree with pretty much all of this. My favorite will always be "My Arms, Your Hearse."

Warner Music Group keeps having the link taken down, but like wack-a-mole it re-appears here:

I like the track, but I would also like to hear how it fits into their album as a whole. I guess we'll have to wait a bit for that.

Damn! I think it sounds great! I listen to many styles of music and I have adopted the "base your opinion on the present, not the past" method of determining whether I like something or not. Opeth keeps evolving and I'm ok with that. I really hope the vibe from this song permeates throughout the entire disc. Consider me impressed (and yes, I am a diehard Opeth fan all the way from the beginning and my favorite release is My Arms Your Hearse).

I guess I'll poke the dog once more..
Went back and listened to Heritage again this week. First let me start by saying Heritage did have some good material scattered around in it, but I am going to have to admit Heritage was a weak album after all. As an Opeth fan, I think I can overlook Heritage as a curious artistic experiment. If this summer's album is a good one and returns to what fans have come to expect from Opeth most of Heritage's transgressions will be forgotten. Personally - and I know people will disagree with this - I don't even care if Ankerfeldt growls or not as long as it sounds like Opeth. (Damnation was a good example of that.) However, if this summer's release is a return to Heritage style wankery then Opeth's got some real problems. One way or another "Pale Communion" needs to kill off the Heritage dog, and for that I am willing to give them another chance.

Here's another new song released today. I like this one too surprisingly.

As an Opeth fan, I think I can overlook Heritage as a curious artistic experiment. If this summer's album is a good one and returns to what fans have come to expect from Opeth most of Heritage's transgressions will be forgotten.
I suspect there are a great number of Opeth fans for whom Heritage is not their only transgression.

This new track is.. disappointing. With the organ in the background it sounds like middle of the road early 70s FM style rock to me.

You know what's great about what Opeth is doing? They are a progressive band that's actually progressing their sound into new territory. If they really did do album after album that sounded like Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries, would that be progressive at all anymore? They're doing what the fuck they want to do, and I support that to the max.

I actually also like the new songs. I think Mike has a great clean voice, and a knack for writing/performing cool melodies. And they've always had a prog rock tinge to their sound. So I support them. It's not like they've progressed to being a deathcore band or something...

Gave the disc a few listens this weekend and it's better then Heritage but the real test of how good it is will come when I play it on a real stereo and not this computer....

You know what's great about what Opeth is doing? They are a progressive band that's actually progressing their sound into new territory. If they really did do album after album that sounded like Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries, would that be progressive at all anymore? They're doing what the fuck they want to do, and I support that to the max.

I actually also like the new songs. I think Mike has a great clean voice, and a knack for writing/performing cool melodies. And they've always had a prog rock tinge to their sound. So I support them. It's not like they've progressed to being a deathcore band or something...
I've always loved bands that had the courage to expand their sound or venture into dangerous territory.

Yes puts the same album over and over again for the most part (I mean, they do it right at least) - are they not prog rock?

That being said, this song that was most recently posted wasn't too bad.