New preamp time! Recommendations please!

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
So I have a budget of $1500ish ... willing to go higher if it's worth it. This will mostly be used for vocals, but it needs to sound great on distorted guitar too.

This is my list so far-

API 512C Microphone Preamp - $761.00
API 500-6B Lunch Box - $424.00
Total - $1185

Universal Audio LA-610 Tube Recording Channel - $1,299.00

Avalon Vt 737sp Mono Mic Pre/Compressor/EQ - $2,249.99

Leaning towards the API... only downside is I want to be able to compress on the way in. Looking at getting a distressor a little ways down the line but can't quite afford it along with the preamp.

Would prefer recommendations of stuff people actually own or have used.

Thanks!

If I had that kind of money, then I wouldn't hesitate to get a Great River ME-1NV, hands freakin down!!!

Man I miss my vt737......used them every single day at the first studio I worked at and absolutely love those units. Absolutely perfect for vocals, snares, ride or hats, *not* heavy electric guitars and also for the main mic on an acoustic. I dream of API every night though...:lol:

Honestly, your best bet is the 500 series modules and the lunch box bro. Expandability and the price is pretty damn decent for what you get...the API pres are just perfect for everything.

~006

The API 512C is great. I think I've used the 3121 or something before and it was totally ace. Nice and crunchy in the high mids. Has a 'rock' sound.

The Great River has never been my cup of tea. Absolutely hated it on acoustic guitar. Too much muddy low mid and not open enough.

The most transparent pre I've heard was the Buzz Audio MA 2.2 - sounded like it did when I was playing the guitar in the room. Just like listening to the source.

Or get the lunch box and add a great river, a shadow hills and a germanium... Or 2 that's what I'm talking about!

Doesn't Great River or somebody make modules that work with the lunch box?

~006

Yep, Great River makes the ME-1NV in a 500-series module (though it takes up two slots), as do A-designs, Shadow Hills (I've heard the mono GAMA is TITS), Chandler, Brent Averill - pretty much anything you could ever need, while only having to pay for one power supply! On that note, though, on VintageKing, it says that Chandler doesn't recommend using the API Lunchbox cuz they say it has a "high" noise floor, but I'm sure "high" is a relative term. All the same, though, if it's gonna be my only power supply, I'd want pretty much the best one I could get, so I think I'd pick up the Brent Averill one or something.

On that note, though, on VintageKing, it says that Chandler doesn't recommend using the API Lunchbox cuz they say it has a "high" noise floor, but I'm sure "high" is a relative term. All the same, though, if it's gonna be my only power supply, I'd want pretty much the best one I could get, so I think I'd pick up the Brent Averill one or something.

That's some GearSlutz action right there... :lol:

~006