New Queensrÿche album

I disagree with Demonspell. While "Tribe" is a far cry from the glory days of "The Warning", "Rage for Order" and "Operation: Mindcrime", this is easily the best thing they've done since "Promise Land". Perhaps that doesn't say much. None the less, I'd say it's a solid disc, with some strong tracks, and Geoff's best work in years. Top 10 of 2003? Maybe, maybe not. However, it's a lot better than I thought they were capable of at this stage in their careers.

GZ

Well, i posted it twice before and i'll post it again: I see Queensryche as a progressive rock band with some slight metal elements to keep at least some sort of hard edge, but they are a progressive rock band now, no longer full-on progressive metal. And this realization helps me accept HITNF and Tribe alot easier (but not Q2K, either way, it sucks.), because i know that they are set in their ways now, and they will never go back to an older sound. I actually dig the new album quite a bit. It's their best album since Promised Land, IMO. I really like the middle eastern, tribal flavor throughout, i think it adds a little extra something that puts it to the next level. Mindcrime and Rage For Order it's not, but for a modern progressive rock album, it's pretty decent.

I went to see Ryche this summer and it was because they played some older stuff. I don't like any of their albums since Promised Land. Queensryche will never have their old sound back in their new albums. To any fan looking for a Mindcrime or even Empire taste you will never have it again. Ryche since Promised Land have given me a big disappointment. I will not buy or download this album or any other album they put up. Geoff Tate is a wasted talent doing all these crappy albums he is such of a Good Singer. Remember when Tate didn't want it to do the Halford, Dickinson thing because he is not into metal anymore, he is into alternative seattle music.

I saw Ryche with Dream Theatre as well, and I loved most of it. There's no denying Tate's vocal skills and instinct - BUT - this new stuff to me is just so one dimensional compared to older Queensryche that it can't hold my interest. Especially the garage band style drumming on all of these albums, the wannabe smashing pumpkins rhythms on Q2k especially. How can a drummer of his caliber be content with that? I dunno...bah, I wish they had gon ein a more progressive direction, more orchestral even, do stuff like "Real World" that would have had potential.