New Recording Of Starkweather

Obscura

Mar 16, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I post here whenever I get chance and have gotten a ton of useful information, especially in the metal drum guide by Oz. I play guitar in a band from Philadelphia called Starkweather and we decided to post one of our new songs first as drum and base tracks, then with guitars, and finally a final mix with vocals. The drum tracks are completely raw, no processing whatsoever and it is one continuous take. Due to the number of parts and our not wanting to record section by section we recorded without a click track. In the final mix we supplemented the snare with a snare sample and cut and pasted one tom hit that our drummer missed, but other than that there is no sound replacement, no beat detective, nothing more than a nice room, decent kit, decent mikes, and a great engineer. Thanks for all of the help. Todd.

It would help if I posted the link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17977834

that name sounds damn familiar. did you used to play shows with the likes of burn, into another, 4 walls falling, beyond, encounter, etc.? I may have seen you guys play in the early 1990s.

Yeah J, we've been around since 1990 and we've played with most of those early NYHC bands. Thanks for checking the song out. I'm not on here oftern but I thought it might fit in this forum.

The drums sound really nice. I totally dig acoustic drums in a good room, but I guess anything else would be weird considering the style you're playing. Is the drum sound the same on the drum n bass version as the guitar version? They sure sound a lot more tame with the guitars. But I guess they are bound to eat up frequencies. Maybe it's also the loudness difference of the two that tricks me, eventho I tried to compare them with adjusted volume to compensate. Just a super fast comparison, tho. Kinda in a hurry here ;)
Would love to hear the finished result aswell.

I like the guitar sound alot, what is the setup, amp, cab, that effect in the middle??? As far as the mix I would prefer a little more guitar or a bit less bass guitar. The whole mix could jump at me a bit more. The drums sound really organic and awesome. I like your last album quite a bit, however I have to be in the right mood to listen to your singer, dude sounds like hes on angel dust.

Hey, Thanks for the comments. There's a studio blog that gives just about every detail of the recording chain, down to mics, preamps, board, etc. The versions that are on teh site right now are completely unmixed; pretty much the way the faders were at the end of each day. I just posted the song with vocals and I'll put up the unmastered final mix in a few days. i really appreciate everything I've learned from this site. From Oz's drum FAQ, to Andy's 5150, TS-9, and C4 compression settings, to the Colin Richardson guitar EQ settings. I'm not the engineer on these songs and have barely progressed from recording our rehearsals with a Firepod and my laptop but I bring in a HUGE list of suggestions every time we go into the studio and the majority of them come from this site. Thanks again. It takes me a while to reply sometimes because I'm the last guy in America that's not online at home.