New to metal, looking for suggestions

TheProdigy

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2007
I've always listened to rap but it's completely fell off and I'm looking for something different. I've been checking out some stuff and I'm really feeling it. It really pumps me up when I'm working out. First off I don't like that growling shit like Cannibal Corpse. And right now I'm looking for some good workout songs. Here are some songs I like to give you an idea.

Winds of Plague - Reloaded
Hatebreed - In Ashes They Shall Reap
Hatebreed - This Is Now
Motograter - Collapse
Trivium - Pillars of Serpents
Rob Zombie - Scum Of The Earth

That Trivium song really isn't that bad. He just needs some better groovy metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those bands you listed, they are not good Metal bands.

Listen to some more Death metal bands before you start bitching about vocals. No offense.

----------------------------------------------

Mercenary - mix of Power Metal and Death Metal, with catchy melodies.

Immortal - Black metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the old thrash. Testament, possibly Anthrax (although I don't know much of their stuff), Death Angel, Metallica, Megadeth. I was in your position a couple of years ago, the first metal band I listened to was Metallica, it's good to start off with because it's not too extreme. I'd save the death metal stuff until you've become used to thrash and less extreme stuff.

You could try some In Flames or Children of Bodom too, if you don't mind a bit of the ol' scream.

Get this album:

pleasureye8.jpg

Converge's "Jane Doe" and "You Fail Me".
Megadeth's "Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!" and "Rust in Peace".

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to like growled vocals, if they're not your thing.

Nobody's mentioned any power metal yet (I always have to, lol), so add (1980's) Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, and, let's say, Iced Earth to your list. That's where you'll find the clean vocals.

+1 to (1980's) Metallica and Megadeth (and Anthrax!)--the classic thrash is always a good place to start for metal. Exodus, too. Can't go wrong with classics.

...if you're gay.

Most people don't like "growled" vocals at first, but if you actually like different types of metal you most likely will like them.

This is true. The first time I heard the term "death metal", I watched a God Dethroned video and instantly hated it. I was naive when I was 12. But listening to more death metal, it's really grown on me and now I've started listening to the all-mighty Devourment.

Slipknot
Godsmack
Korn

Shit like that. At least that is what was always playing in the weight room at school.