New Trends in Metal

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
What do you think some of the next big trends in the extreme music scene will be? I think avant grade black metal is already becoming a trend. I also think it would be cool to see a trend toward the totally evil and blackened doom of Khanate. Also, has Atomsmasher started a trend in whatever genre they are in? Talk amongst yourselves. . . let me know what you are thinking.

THANKS

Have guys ever heard of a band called "Mysticum?" This is a black metal band that uses gabber beats instead of drums. I know there are some metal heads, like my friend, that hate the thought of something outside of "metal" cross breeding with black or death or whatnot metal but.... Mysticum kicks ass!!! Its total abrasive black metal and the gabber beats are fast. I think you guys would enjoy it.
Also another example of this would be The Berzerker. He fused Gabber techno/Grindcore/Death metal. I saw them play with Dying Fetus and they were fucking great. Again, loud and brutal. So in other words I think using keyboards in other ways besides being melodic might be a good trend to come up.

This is what mysticum sounds like.
Mysticum - Let The Kingdom Come (sample)
http://www.geocities.com/edwardgein9/Mysticum_-_Let_The_Kingdom_Come.mp3

Note - Use Right Click Save As to download.

Originally posted by npearce
Could somebody please inform me: What is gabba-crossover? This is a serious question.

As Dill said, I have the pleasure of knowing... Its basically stripped down very harcore techno, very similar to some industrial.. usually consists of a fast drumbeat (bass drum going boom boom boom over and over again :rolleyes: ) then some beeping and white noise, occasionaly more melodic technoey bits..then mix it with metal to get the crossover :)

godisanathiest: I think you would enjoy Khanate if you gave them a few listens at the right time of day. Khanate shouldn't be enjoyed every day of the week, or even every week. But, there are times when Khanate really hits the spot. Trust me. Give them a fair chance.

Also, where does the term "gabber" come from? Would Aborym's new one be classified as such?

I've got a story on Anaal Nathrakh. I wanted to buy that CD when I first heard about them in the mags. It wasn't available in the US for a while, so I emailed the guys in the band. One of them actually wrote back that day and told me to contact the record label to find out how to buy the album. Of course the label never emailed back. I still don't have the album, but it is available in the US now. Go to the Anaal Nathrakh site to check our some samples and an mp3. It is more like Mayhem than Aborym. It is very extreme black metal.

godisanathiest: I think you would enjoy Khanate if you gave them a few listens at the right time of day. Khanate shouldn't be enjoyed every day of the week, or even every week. But, there are times when Khanate really hits the spot. Trust me. Give them a fair chance.

Also, where does the term "gabber" come from? Would Aborym's new one be classified as such?

I've listened to them quite a bit actually! I always do to see if things grow on me.... However, I will do so again to see if it makes any difference.. when would you suggest? Evening?

I definitely gave them a fair chance however... many people (especially if they have to write a review on it) only listen to something once before deciding they don't like it....

I don't quite know where the term gabber came from, sorry :)

But trying to find out I found: http://www.dneproductions.com/frames/genre_tree.html
Which is an excellent site! I'm gonna have great fun with these :)

Sounds like mysticum are slightly like "Terrorcore:Compares to Deathcore as Grindcore (eg Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Godflesh) compares to Deathmetal (eg Death, Entombed, Cannibal Corpse). Harder, faster, but a simpler beat. The bass kick is so fast, it almost sounds like one continuous noise. The breakbeat is simpler, like hardstep."

godisanathiest: I would suggest listening to Khanate at night while drinking (or smoking) a few. Preferebly with a friend or two that would also appreciate the experience. Khanate is all about atmosphere. But, at the same time, if you have to work too hard to enjoy a band, what is the point? I somehow grew to like the heavier doom stuff like Warhorse and Khanate. I simply like the new, blacker level Khanate has taken that genre to.

godisanathiest: I would suggest listening to Khanate at night while drinking (or smoking) a few. Preferebly with a friend or two that would also appreciate the experience. Khanate is all about atmosphere. But, at the same time, if you have to work too hard to enjoy a band, what is the point? I somehow grew to like the heavier doom stuff like Warhorse and Khanate. I simply like the new, blacker level Khanate has taken that genre to.

I'll give it another shot... and get back to you :)

Could somebody please inform me: What is gabba-crossover? This is a serious question.
go to The Berzerker's site. He has some mp3s that can give you some idea of what "gabber/Death Metal/Grindcore" would sound like. I'll most likely post a sample mp3 somewhere tonight so you can what Mysticum sounds like.

I'll admit that sometimes mixing other genres with each other may sound completely stupid and sound like complete shit but when used correctly it creates a completely new sound and in some case genre.

Maybe it already is a trend, but how about metalcore drawing more of a metal audience (as opposed to mostly punk/hc as now seems to be the case. I'm thinking of Poison the Well (in spite of their last album which was relatively so-so), Converge and bands like that.
Also, the vocals gotta change up a bit. I foresee more effects being used on vocals in all forms of heavy music.

I think Metalcore becoming more acceptable for metal fans would also be a great new trend. I love Converge "Jane Doe". In fact, I'd say it was one of the most "metal" albums of 2001. I've heard a little Poison the Well, but I haven't been that impressed yet. They do have potential. Another band that has a great following in metal and HC is Shadows Fall. They could potentially be the next "big" American band. I heard they were just featured on MTV "You heard it hear first."