next up: UFO with Vinnie Moore

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Well, third weekend on a row I'm gonna see a live gig, Friday UFO is on order...mmm, doctor , doctor , pleeeeaaaaze !!!! Long time since I heard about them... But, when reading I saw Vinnie Moore joined UFO. Now , that's interesting !!! Allways good to see a guitar-master on work so I'm not gonna skip that one...Friends are pushing me to join them for Black Label Society on Sunday, but I'm not sure I'll like them, anyone saw BLS live ???

3rd weekend in a row? I'm jealous -- I haven't made it to a show in 6 months.

Vinnie Vincent joined UFO? That's news to me...must have missed that interesting little tidbit. I'm curious as to how that sounds. Not sure the styles really match, but I'd be willing to give it a listen!

Personally I thought their 1998 album Walk On Water proved they could still gather the magic ala Obsession and Phenomenon.

sixxswine said:
So how was the gig? Personally UFO isn't UFO without Schenker.
And their new cd gave me a "hard-off."
Vinnie is one hell of a guitar player though...

It's not Friday yet :D
I'll let you know on Saturday how the concert was !!

carnut said:
It's not Friday yet :D
I'll let you know on Saturday how the concert was !!

Wish I could be there. Last time we had a great time!! Your Belgian hospitality is great carnut. I am looking forward to return the favor.

I once had tickets for the "Walk on Water" UFO tour with Schenker. The very day of the concert I got very sick and we could not go :erk:

I am curious how you will like them.

Just back from the UFO gig and as promised a little bit about that.... I never got into UFO that much but decided to check them out anyway becouse I noticed Vinnie Moore joined the band last year, replacing Michael Schenker (again) ... Only remaining "old" members are vocalist Phil Mogg and Pete Way on bass. On drums is Jason Bonham, son of Jon Bonham (Led Zeppelin). Oh yeah, openers were The Lizard, pretty good sleeze/hardrock band. Not really my kinda thing but good anyway !
UFO than.... well, UFO plays straight oldschool hardrock. Their classics are good, no doubt, but I had hoped Vinnie would add some extra to them, which he didn't. Of course all the classics passed like This Kids, Only you can rock me, shoot shoot, Doctor Doctor and in the middle of Rock Bottom Vinnie gave an awesome 5 minutes or so solo. Sound was very good and clear. Pete Way was stoned as a pig but didn't miss too much notes, funny to watch...Phil Mogg sounds very sharp. But did it all move me ?? Not really, but as said, I'm not the biggest UFO fan around either. Maybe they do need Schenker to give them that extra note, don't know as I never saw them with Schenker. Vinnie Moore is without doubt an aweful guitar player, but he just doesn't fit in the UFO picture. I hope some good metal band pics him up again, something like Masterplan or so would fit him dozen times better. Was it a bad concert? Not at all !! Very proffesionally played, super sound but missed that little spark too stand out for me. Guess I need some more "metal" in my hardrock (and I'm still kicking off from the Jon Oliva's Pain concert last week).
Funny to see this time I wasn't with the older guys on a live gig, most of the public passed me by 10 years or so...